Step up for those who ride fish?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by samo, Feb 9, 2020.

1. samo

samo New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Santa Cruz
    I ride small boards as my daily drivers, mostly fish in the 5’2” to 5’6” range. I love them in good surf, but at a certain point they’re too small to paddle in.

Any ideas for a step up that would be an easy transition for a twin keel fish rider? The waves I have in mind are point breaks in Santa Cruz in the 1.5x to double overhead range. Thick walls, big faces, but pretty slopey - not too hollow or top to bottom.

2. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
  3. samo

samo New Member

Oct 23, 2019
    Santa Cruz
    That’s a beauty, but honestly it doesn’t look like it’s working that well for him in those conditions. I’m a big Christenson fan, and have been toying with the idea of a long fish or nautilus, but I saw this post and it made me think that maybe the long fish isn’t the call.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Clomics likes this.
  4. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Okay, so I'll toss my hat into the ring.
    Everyone knows I'm a shameless whore in the surfboard world looking to stoke out whoever will have me.

If you are used to and like fish, it will be an easy and comfortable transition to jump on one of my New Machines.

Why?

Because they are very fish like. They have even had guys call them "fish Eaters" becuz they have all the admirable facets of a good fish but step beyond them in that my design surfs fully 3 dimensional versus the flat & skatey characteristics of the common fish.

They are fast, they paddle well, they are fully 3 dimensional allowing you to go waaaaay out on the flat and do a little quarter turn into the face before laying into the biggest career Roundhouse cutback of your life.

They ride a wider variety of waves and have proven to do so both locally & globally. I have geriatric Hawaiian grandfathers, New Yorkers and Long Islanders, PNW cold water riders, So Cal Nor Cal and guys in Costa Rica, Texas, Chile, Maldives, France and Finland riding these boards with critical acclaim.

But I'm just a board shaping whore that is giving you a come on.

Forget all the dignitaries, ex pro surfers, beginners, celebs and guys living in their vans that sing their praises. I could be even more shameless and provide names of some of those cinematic, stage, or musical superstars and they would be pissed at me for outing them.

I won't do that becuz their price is the same as the guy living in his van.

In my book, everybody has inalienable right to stoke, and I pay just as much attention to your board as several guys that ride my boards that are Oscar winners.

Get Ready for Stoke, Feel the Stoke, Share the Stoke.

That's my mantra and I'm sticking to it.

VitaminC and DanSan like this.
  5. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California

AND ..we all know..im going to shamelessly echo this..

Lackosense likes this.
  6. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    It's nice to have people represent based on a history of longtime surfing, board researching and buying what thinks will stoke them out, then building quivers based upon that.

It's nice to get a nod for what you spend your life doing.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  7. Planktom

Planktom Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    I felt the same... Looks like he's struggling with the lift the board generates.. I think the board is just the wrong size for him or something maybe?

Long fish are a kind of sub-category for me and I have 6'8" Josh Hall Piseas with high aspect twins that I seem to have been riding almost 90% of the time recently. I've just come back from a month in Oz and it was the only board that I took with me owing to the range and versatility. I would hesitate to call it a step-up, even though it goes great in solid and/or hollow surf - it's just a great all-rounder with good range, but it obviously surfs differently to a traditional small fish.

I love fishes in good waves too and have had the same quandary as yourself. Just a couple of inches is all you need for a 'small' fish step-up I think, possibly with a slight reduction in width if you want to stay very close to what you are feeling.

If I lived in California, then I would be speaking to Dennis Kane about a Swordfish. His boards go unreal and he has worked on fish variants for years, I had a shorter DK quad that I picked up from someone who had brought it back from the US and loved it. From what I can gather, you will not paying through the nose for a board through him either.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Artz likes this.
  8. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    There are a number of Shapers in the San Diego area that could make you an excellent step up Fish. Like the Rich Pavel speed dialed. DK has a nice looking one. Gary Hanel , Steve Pendorvis, Christiansen,Have all been building that style Fish for years. Rainbow Surfboards is Collaboration of Rich Pavel Gary McNabb and Steve Clark. They have a Speed Dialer shape at a pretty go price. They can be check out at Mitches Surf Shop. On the net.

DJR likes this.
  9. elFlaco

elFlaco Member

Feb 7, 2019
    VA
    All you really need is to get up to around 6'0 on the fish, narrowed a bit, and you will have a very similar feel but with greater range. Longfish is really something different and I can't speak to it.

The other thing you might consider is not a "fish" but a step-up twinnie. Seems to be all the rage right now - Torren Martyn definitely is somewhat responsible for the upswing.