Start shaping.

miscreant

May 20, 2016
I think the key would be to focus on one particular design for a while. a crude one at that. bang a few out before you even glass anything.

Reactions: DJR

Justino

Nov 15, 2016
I shaped 7 boards in my garage before the kids came along...seriously considering giving it a try again. Been waiting forever on a custom I ordered last year....

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
Every surfer should have to build one start to finish. Maybe people would appreciate the process more. It’s weird when someone asks who built it and you can say I did. Even better if they compliment.
The newfound appreciation of excellent stringer work, smooth symmetry, and mirror glass finishes is another by-product. It is great to nail a few areas and a goal to nail them all.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Every surfer should have to build one start to finish. Maybe people would appreciate the process more. It’s weird when someone asks who built it and you can say I did. Even better if they compliment.

Agreed all around. It revealed how little I actually knew about surfboards and the process that goes into making them. The experience is sometimes humbling, eventually rewarding.

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
I’ve built 4 over a 50 year span. Three in the late 60s early 70s with very little know-how and zero reference material. Just one example of my lack of knowledge....didn’t even know what a hot coat was! Even though those first 3 were absolute dogs, there’s just something exceptional about paddling out and riding waves on a self-shape. The EPS/Epoxy Mini Simmons done in 2013 is much higher quality and a project done when out of work that year. However at 5’10 it’s more of a knee machine for this geezer. :)