Start shaping.

miscreant

May 20, 2016
Now is the time.

Just sayin.

Think about it. Custom orders are backed up. Established shapers are swamped.

The market is primed for it.

It seems like there are a bunch of new people trying surfing.

Maybe start an Instagram or TikTok account.

Try to get your boards placed in the lobby of some of these wave pools that are about to be popping up everywhere.

You’re welcome in advance.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
During the gold rush, the guys who made money were not the ones panning for gold but the ones selling supplies to those guys. Don't think gold, think shovels and pickaxes. What do surfers who are impatiently waiting for their surfboards need? I'm not sure. Maybe coffee mugs to sip from when they're watching the waves wishing their new board was done?

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Surfside Beach, TX
Or just get a bunch of plywood form the Depot ans shape those epic Alaias or whatever they were called. Just think, different thicknesses, quality of wood, etc....a literal gold mine.

SdSurferguy

Oct 18, 2006
USA
IMO the bottleneck is the glass shops. Too much work and no talent left in the west coast surf meccas.

Solution? Start a staffing agency to get those shops running at 150%+ output, like the travel nurses. Pull all the talent from the gulf and east coasts.

“Are you available to work the NOC sanding shift? We are seeing a surge in North County SD right now. It would be a 6 week assignment. We provide airfare, accommodations (tents in the parking lot), and you can surf Swamis 3 hours every morning when you wrap up work. Air is 75*, water is 62* and here is the Surfline extended forecast. Pay is $8 an hour, with a $2 shift differential. Unfortunately no meals provided, but a Robertos is within walking distance. If you order a California burrito with extra cheese you should only require one meal per day."

miscreant

May 20, 2016
One should start shaping and glassing in their garage, NOW.

Focus on the glasswork.

All shapers and glassers started at zero.

Reactions: DJR

poidog

Sep 7, 2010
Maryland
I wouldn't buy a board shaped by me. Wouldn't want to look at it. Pee on it, maybe, if I really had to go, in which case I'd write my name in cursive in the soft foam, first, middle and last, zip up while it's still steaming.