Spackle - ding repair question

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Jun 8, 2019.

1. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Im doing some repair on a board. In one spot I needed to remove glass down to the foam. There was a little foam loss in the process.

Can I use household spackle to even things out? Is there a better option?

2. Mizrachi

Mizrachi Active Member

May 16, 2013
  3. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Yes Q Cell (micro baloons aka foam microspheres) is lightweight and preferable, but in a pinch lightweight Spackle works fine. Actually UL Spackle already has microspheres in it to make it lightweight and you can find it at Ace of just about any hardware store.

DJR likes this.
  4. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    thx.
    I wanted to do this stage resin free since its late and I need to work inside. I thinking that it will be dry over night and I can finish the repair in the morning. I've also heard that q-cell and white glue could work.

I guess the follow up question is this repair will have a color lam. Will any of these options have an effect on evenness of the color?

5. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I've seen old pics of Liddle hulls with spackle repairs...

6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    This is one of the most difficult parts of color matching repairs. In addition to mixing an exact color the dilemma of matching tint (translucent) is hardest because you can see through the lamination to the foam. Or matching an opaque color somewhat easier as you can’t see through. My guess is attempting to match a tint over spackle will be pretty ugly as spackle won’t have the texture and sparkle of polyurethane foam.

Bruce Fowler likes this.
  7. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey

You could be thinking about Liddles have dents repaired with Bondo not spackle.

8. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Or Bondo.

9. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    thanks again.
    It's on the rail so I have a bit more of a margin to make it look nice. Also, the tint is an out of the bottle color.
    It seems like q-cell or spackle with have the same issue with masking the foam.
    Fortunately the ding is not a gouge but a crappy repair job that the previous owner did that I wanted to clean up and do it right. .. well... as best I can.
    Its good chance to practice(pretend I know what I'm doing) anyway since it likely cant look any worse. i hope

DJR and SeniorGrom like this.
  10. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    That's right - bondo, not spackle. Thanks for the correction.