Solite booties and gloves

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Jmazz, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Jmazz

Jmazz Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Ny
    Hi hammers
    Has anybody used the Solite brand boot or gloves. I saw a post from someone in cali saying they were very light wgt boots but he could feel the slightest objects under his feet. I'm a nj/NY surfer wondering how warm and water tight they are?

2. waveslider

waveslider Active Member

Jun 3, 2005
    USA California
    I hate boots with a passion. In fact, I’d almost rather not surf than have to put them on. Had to cave this winter and I picked up a pair of the Body Glove red bottom solite moldable boots. Game changer for me. Don’t know about durability yet but they fit great, very light and so far definitely worth it. Can’t speak to how warm the thick ones are for you guys. Growing up on LI I always wore rip curl booties and gloves. Hated wearing booties and gloves 7 months of the year so I moved.

Jmazz likes this.
  3. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I've been using the boots since they came to market. I use the 6mm pros in Oregon with the thin sock and they are plenty warm. Mine fit so well that they let very little water in and that's after 1.5 seasons. I like the rubber bottoms and split toe, you can feel the board under your feet. I also took the 3mm ltds to Peru and they were perfect for the rocks, jellyfish and warmth. The gloves have not been released yet, but I'm planning to pick up a pair as soon as they are. I don't think you can go wrong with the boots.

Jmazz and Bighouse like this.
  4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    A buddy of mine has them. He said that the fit is unparalleled, but they are colder than normal Xcel boots of the same thickness. On really cold winter days here in NJ, he said he had to get out several times during a session to warm his feet up. They do come with socks, which he said helps add a little warmth. He also said that his toe had been going numb. He thought it was maybe because of his wide feet, but he ended up remolding the boot with wiggling his toes a little bit for extra space, which helped alleviate the problem. I think that cleared up a lot of issues with it. When I see him this week, I’ll ask him for the follow up review.

5. Jmazz

Jmazz Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Ny
    I had a feeling they weren't as warm , can't have everything.....can't have a good fitting lightweight boot and warmth at the same time

6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Okay, here's the updated Solite review from my buddy (who has had them for three months now):

PROS: If there's one thing to say about Solite, it's that their advertising is 100% accurate. The boots really do provide an insane amount of "board feel" and grip (no more frustrating toe rolls!). They are easy to take on and off, and have been very durable so far. The heat molding process is straight forward, and I've molded mine twice already without any compromise to the integrity of the boot. There is a fur lining in the cuffs only, so they dry super fast and don't smell nearly as much as my other boots, although that stink definitely gets transferred to the socks lol.

CONS: It's not exactly rocket science, but the Solites (6mm) are definitely not as warm as my Xcel boots (7mm). They do come with the knit "Heat Booster" socks, but I'm not sure how much that actually helps warmth, although they do help with on/off. One interesting note from the Solite website:
    "For water temps lower than 45F, we highly recommend using our 1mm Neoprene Heat Booster Socks inside your 6mm Custom Pro boots."

The neoprene socks are new even from after I got the boots in December, I guess maybe they were getting complaints that the boots weren't warm enough for winter in NJ. I'd say that is accurate and these boots are really only good down to 45F, maybe a few degrees lower if you have a high cold tolerance.

TL;DR: Solite 6mm boots really do live up to all they hype, superior board feel and grip, with space age tech and great durability. However they aren't as warm as traditional winter boots, so I'd recommend buying the 1mm neoprene sock or keeping a pair of 7mm boots around for Jan-Feb barrel hunting. 9.2/10 would buy again.

michael and Jmazz like this.
  7. Jmazz

Jmazz Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Ny
    Thanks so much for the input I guess u have a very good point about keeping several pairs. I'm due for a new set of 5 mils. Maybe the 6 mil would be litter and just as warm

8. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I think the 6mm would be a good choice.

I use mine in 48 to 70 degree water.

If you do try to use them in colder water with the 1mm boot inside you'll probably need to go with your normal size boot. I'd email them just to be sure, typically they say to understood .5 to 1 size when using just the sock.

9. shawnzee

shawnzee Active Member

Mar 4, 2015
    noco, sd
    had solites for a few weeks. 3mm, yellow bottoms. i have morton's toe (my second and third toes are longer than the big toe) and the solites were unbearable even after molding. both toes were compressed and uncomfortable to the extent that i gave them away. if i had normal toes, probably would have liked them enough to keep them, especially considering the cost. they're unbelievably light and super snug BUT i did notice that the grip they had on the board made my foot slip inside the boot on more torqued motions

10. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    I agree on the strange grip and the foot slip. I have a pair that I have in rotation but they are at the bottom of the list. They also hurt if you have to walk any distance in them. My toes get jammed up when I hump it out to the inlet.