Sold The Levitator...now what?

walkingtheplank

Aug 2, 2004
wherever i am
so i decided to sell the Levitator yesterday, mainly b/c it was feeling a bit too thin for me. granted, i'm no clydesdale @165 lbs, but was def. sinking it when shifting to paddle prone for waves f/a sitting position. that said, i checked the stock dims for this model &, sure enough, it's less than 3" thick. anyway, posted & sold the L within about 3 hrs on FB for 7 bills.

now i have 700 bucks staring me in the face saying, what will you do w/me?

fast forward to today - i jump on FB, as usual, & check the Florida Surfboard Exchange group. lo & behold...a 9'2" Elevator pops up in very good condition for $750. turns out the guy lives in Lauderdale, but is willing to meet in Ft. Pierce for full price. now, the other reason i sold the L was to get a bit more money for rent when i drive up to NC on Sunday for the summer.

goddammit - i have a tough decision to make.

do i buy the Elevator & spend another $50 on top of my earnings f/the L, or abstain & use the money for rent like a good responsible child-pretending-to-be-an-adult?

my biggest concern w/the Elevator is that it's basically the same thickness as the L, & even more narrow. moreover, i was originally leaning towards a 9'4" at roughly 23x3" volume. any insight f/the peanut gallery on this conundrum?

Attachments

• elevator-nose.jpg
    elevator-nose.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 71
  • elevator-outline.png
    elevator-outline.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 71
  • elevator-tail.jpg
    elevator-tail.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Scrapple

Dec 17, 2020
Sc
If you don’t buy it maybe take a detour (or two) on your way up. McKevlins carries Bing. Call ahead for inventory. Always better looking in person than online.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
I like boards that "float". If they don't float me well, they are history. A surfboard is for riding waves and paddling is an essential part of that. 3 1/4" thick should do it for just about anyone. If you are still sinking, get a longer board.

walkingtheplank

Aug 2, 2004
wherever i am
I like boards that "float". If they don't float me well, they are history. A surfboard is for riding waves and paddling is an essential part of that. 3 1/4" thick should do it for just about anyone. If you are still sinking, get a longer board.
agreed - the Levitator was just a little too svelte for my tastes...something tells me the Elevator wouldn't feel much different

Proper_Mode

Jan 8, 2016
USA California
Do both. Keeping searching the used marketplaces for boards under 300 or so and climb back up the ladder if you want something fancier.

I think there is a sweet spot for fun underrated overlooked longboards around that price point if you hustle to snag them.

strez

Mar 23, 2012
Hamilton, Massachusetts
I had a levitator. It was a beautiful board and I really wanted to love it, but it didn't work for me. Maybe it was the step deck, but it was really hard to find the sweet spot where I could prone paddle quickly enough to catch waves without pearling once the wave energy picked up the tail. Maybe it was too thin. I think an elevator w/o the step deck would be a great east coast log, but I heard Bing won't make them without the step. I've surfed many years and this was the only 9'6" log I had that was hard to catch waves with and the only step deck I ever had. Not the right board for me.