Soft Top

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Clomics, Sep 9, 2019.

1. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    The Crime stuff is nothing new. Clyde Beatty has been doing those, including customs, for years but the Crime guys have gone with decent colors and are sucking people in with their hip hop barrio advertising brand lean. Yawn. Those things will still give you a concussion - they’re still a hard board just with an EVA deck wrapping on the top so it’s still a hard bottom board.

Go CL wavestorm. Soft, great float and trim and pretty fun to surf yourself. Gasp.

2. glidewaves

glidewaves Active Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA New Jersey,Maryland
    Check out the softech boards. I bought an 8'4" for my son and it's great. A couple friends have them as well and love them. They are soft but have some serious inner stringers that prevent flexing.

Thomas Morra likes this.
  3. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    I swore years ago I would never ride a soft top
    Until I took my family to Hawaii. Then the only two boards ready to ride asap were two softops on top of the van.
    Well, we walk down the clift ( this is close to pines something in Maui, a gorgeous place, and a nice right that sometimes goes into the bay).My daughter and myself, with two wavestorms, 8 ft. And a go pro mounted on top of one of them. 100 % cook of the day.
    Anyway, after two hours , I broke my promise, and made a new one: I must have a soft top all the time as a choice , because those craps are so much fun to ride.
    Waves that day were shoulder high, clean, punchy. Those boards are amazing, easy to paddle, fast enough, and to my surprise, despite their fat round rails, they really turn very well. Of course, they have 3 fins.
    I went to Costco there and got a brand new one for $ 117. Crazy!!
    Now I want an Odissey, but they are a hot fashion commodity. Super expensive.
    Theres one that is a 9 ft, single fin. That's the one.
    IMHO everyone should carry one in the car, alongside a Coop and a JP!!

4. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
  5. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    you'd have the most street cred in the water on that :D

Clomics likes this.
  6. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    It's all about looking legit.

dingdong likes this.
  7. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    IMHO- Wavestorms work as learning boards up to about 180-190 lbs.. After that, it takes a bit more skill to catch and balance on them. At my 225, when i was "relearning to surf" I couldn't catch anything with my OG 9'4" and it felt way too squirrely. Now I can use them easy and have a blast, but for learning, I would say there is an upper weight limit.