Soft Top

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Clomics, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Are they all created equal? Are they all garbage? Girlfriend would like to learn to surf, and this seems like the best way to keep her from getting concussed.

JBorbone likes this.
  2. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    keen so see some responses here.. i'm in the exact same boat. GF wants to learn.

I'm leaning towards:
    1) Almond R-Series Joy
    2) Crime Stubby

Clomics likes this.
  3. kclibman

kclibman Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Been teaching the GF on an OG Wavestorm (early serial number, before they started skimping on stringers). She's like 5'3" and 105 lbs. and it's been great for her - she's already learning how to turn and trim in the whitewash. By the time winter rolls around, she'll be on a poly midlength or egg.

Artz, Clomics and dingdong like this.
  4. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    og wavestorm by far the best for beginners, easy to paddle, they actually surf ok, and won't hurt the bank account

Clomics and kclibman like this.
  5. Spritzer

Spritzer Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    I learned to surf on a Greco (although I don't think they're in business anymore) and it did it's job. Didn't have to worry about it getting damaged or damaging my head and it had plenty of float.
    Also had a 6'3 stormblade (same manufacturer as wavestorm I believe) that was pretty fun and held up in some pretty heavy Central CA waves.
    You can usually find some cheap used ones online, so if she doesn't like it to much your don't lose a lot.

Clomics likes this.
  6. kclibman

kclibman Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    ^^ This. $50 on OfferUp. Paddled into head-high beach break on it yesterday and had a riot too.

Clomics likes this.
  7. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Ask Veterano, he loves em..

8. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Sounds like Wavestorm is the answer. Thanks dudes.

kclibman and Thomas Morra like this.
  9. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Andrew Johnson likes this.
  10. Justino

Justino Member

Nov 15, 2016
    We have a couple 7 foot Catch Surfs for the fam. One single fin and one tri. Super fun actually. Sweet spot for size, tons of volume for beginners and short enough for dumping beachbreak for my oldest son and I.