So I think I want a pig

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dtorrent, Jan 3, 2020.

1. dtorrent

dtorrent Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Talk me out of it. Or sell me one.

Discuss.

2. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Pig or piggish? New or old? And a bit more on what is on your mind:)

3. dtorrent

dtorrent Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Piggish I think. Not ready for full committment. Or maybe just a wide-point back Aussie-style board.

I am in flux.

SDBoardHoarder and DJR like this.
  4. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Same. I’m looking at the Andreini double enda

DJR likes this.
  5. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Pieter Stockart makes good ones.

DJR likes this.
  6. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
  7. Fishy

Fishy Active Member

Aug 22, 2014
    I ordered a Philips pig years ago and really gave it a go, but couldn’t make it work. Especially in bigger surf. The guy I sold it to loved it but not me. Then I got an Andreini Magic Sam, which was awesome out of the box. Loved that board and wish I hadn’t sold it. Easy. Fun. Wide range of waves. Now I have another Aussie style board, the Aussie slasher, handshaped by Ian Chisholm. It’s a better noserider than the Sam, maybe a little less groovy on the tail. Works in a variety of waves as well, although I ride my gliders more.

The one thing I’ve learned is that how I imagine a board working and how it actually works once I get it are rarely the same. I’d test drive some Aussie style boards and a traditional pig if possible before investing.

Hope that helps. Tom

8. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I never have a bad surf on my Phillips pig. It clicks with me every time like an old friend and turns great with an old school glide momentum. Plus, definite eye candy.

DKNJ, deemce, Igosurf and 1 other person like this.
  9. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I have been riding wide point back Longboards since the 1990s, in the Magic Sam and Aussie style. One of the Best was a Takayama/Nat Young collaboration. Great Board. My current board is a Robin Mair 9’4” Dreamliner. 4 plus 1. Robin is an excellent shaper and fin maker.
    Been looking at the Takayama Tommy Witt model in a 10’ or more. Bad shoulder is forcing me to go longer.

10. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    I’m not much of a noserider, so I love the maneuverability of a wide point back longboard. Not a true pig with 50/50 rails all the way and a big D fin, but a wide point back more progressive bottom (hard edge in tail), and a Greenough style fin.

longhairhippie, GearNut and OneLove like this.