So how many surfboards are too many surfboards?

WhiteRussian

Oct 16, 2007
Boston Harbor
At least with surfboards the storage is relatively straight forward. Yes they long object , but 'flat' so kind of stackable..

I just had a discussion with my brother. When I started complain about storage space for boards he was like stfu, you don't know what does it mean to live in studio apartment with his girlfriend and their bicycles. They are both long time cyclists. She is competitive and works as coach. So he has 6 bicycles, she has 4 in his place and few stored at work :) And they have 2 y o husky :)

Last edited:

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
I love this thread

I say keep doing what you’re doing. I’ve watched all your reviews and I think it’s in your bones to never be satisfied with boards. And, selfishly, we’d all be missing out if you changed that haha.

DKNJ

Mar 20, 2016
Ocean, NJ
First off let me start off by saying that the act of supporting shapers is a valuable part of being a surfer. So my question is at what point do you realize that there is no point in buying another 9’6 log. Now if you know me from this forum you may know that i do a platform which reviews certain surf craft. I am obviously a big advocate for exploring shapes, technology and in general opening up your mind to alternative shapers. Just to put what I do into perspective within the last 8 or so months I have surfed and reviewed 24 boards. Now don’t get me wrong, I really love what I do and am continuing to do. But is it weird that I get a little jealous of a fellow surfer that has had the same board for the past 3 years? This is not a particular person too this is a general perspective of getting a board then dialing it in and surfing it till its shot. There is literally one board that I have had for almost one year, and its my favorite board I have had (to date). But I am always looking for the next ”magic” board. So really what I am asking is when is enough enough. Or is it never enough? Am I the only crazy person that is constantly looking for the next best thing? Please let me know if I am not alone. Or if I am a total weirdo.
If it makes you smile, ride it. Happiness isn’t a thought, it’s a feeling. Having new & different surfing experiences makes me happy.

Hodaddy81

Feb 2, 2021
Jersey
I love this thread

I say keep doing what you’re doing. I’ve watched all your reviews and I think it’s in your bones to never be satisfied with boards. And, selfishly, we’d all be missing out if you changed that haha.
Thanks for digging what I do. I got some hammers coming up

shredsickgnar

Aug 7, 2021
Canada
It depends on how much often you surf, how long you have been surfing and what you want to experience. I surfed about 50 different boards and learned something from each one, both about the boards and my own surfing. I am not really working on aspects of my own surfing but looking to gain knowledge. I own a surf school, rental shop and a campground. I surf 5 or more times a week. My business does revolve around me knowing as much as I can about surfboards and sharing that knowledge.

I have 13-15 boards and surf 6 or 7 regularly. 3 of them are magic. I could cut my quiver down to 5 pretty easily. If I didn’t surf 5 or so sessions a week I would have a lot less boards. My goal is ride of of each type of board. If I like the type of board I might buy one. I started with looking for 1 groveler, 1 shortboard, 1 longboard. Then started moving into sub types; fish(keel&quad), pig, bonzer, mid length, mini Simmons, step up, noserider glider. Some boards I buy and move on from, if I really like a board I’ll it I keep it or find one. I’d love to have a magic or great/good board from each one of those sub groups but that probably takes more time and searching than I have in this life. It’s definitely all about the journey and learning.

shredsickgnar

Aug 7, 2021
Canada
I’ve thought about this more for a day or so. The answer is if you feel like you have too many boards and it’s hurting your surfing you probably do. Self reflection and realization rarely happens at the tipping point of diminishing returns. So be the time you are thinking you might have too many boards you probably already do.

However it really depends on your goals. If your goal is to improve your own surfing too many boards can be a hindrance. If your goal is to learn about surfboards and surf craft then you should try all of them you can.

Last edited:

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
I’ve thought about this more for a day or so. The answer is if you feel like you have too many boards and it’s hurting your surfing you probably do. Self reflection and realization rarely happens at the tipping point of diminishing returns. So if you’re thinking you might have too many boards you probably already do.

However it really depends on your goals. If your goal is to improve your own surfing too many boards can be a hindrance. If your goal is to learn about surfboards and surf craft then you should try all of them you can.
Well said. I think this is right on. I started surfing in college. And for the next 15 or so years I had two boards. I couldn’t really afford to try different ones. And I wasn’t surfing regularly enough to justify it. And I think I was lucky in that my 2nd board was a Pill from Gary Hanel, which was so incredibly versatile. These days I’m surfing regularly, a little better off and am able to try out all the boards I always wanted to but never could. I’ve probably been through 15 boards in the past two years and have held on to 4 of those. I think this is my system: keep buying and selling until I score one I can’t imagine parting with and repeat. I think the trick is to be real honest and unsentimental with a board. If I don’t connect with it in a few sessions: it’s on to the next.