snakes

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Guest, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

at times, I'll be out in the water and someone will be snaking everyone. I mean if that person lives by the golden rule, then aren't they saying "please snake me"?

2. longhairhippie

longhairhippie Active Member

Mar 31, 2011
    USA
    that's not the way that rule works.
    That's not to say, however, that one should never confront another when they are out of line.
    I've found that repaying evil for evil is never the answer.

this is just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone. :D

3. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Is this a plumbing question?

Cuz I'm having a bitch of a time getting cat hair outta the guest bathroom sink.

[​IMG]

4. weberrider

weberrider Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Snaking and dropping in are two different things. You can make an honest error and drop in on someone. Not usually a big deal for me unless the person keeps doing it. Snaking requires paddling around a surfer who is already in position and taking his wave. Snaking is not an error. It is done on purpose and while I usually do not say anything, I will paddle right past the snake and take my wave back.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Long boarders are a friendly lot as are most short boarders. The guilty party here are SUPS.

I often get snaked by these guys and will block there way until they move down the beach.

6. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    weberrider wrote:
    Agree. It takes work -- and a lot of a**holeness -- to snake.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Several of us had this discussion this morning. We apparently talked loudly enough that the message was received, since the snake slithered to shore soon thereafter. I suspect that's as far as I'd go, but I'm a pacifist, so YMMV.

8. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Slight variation on the this topic:

There's an older guy at my home break who has the spot wired and drives a 10' surf tech pig so, he has the float and paddle power to catch EVERYTHING and that's exactly what he does. This wave hog surfs without any joy or generosity. He just paddles out, catches everything he can and then paddles in.

This long board perfect spot is extremely friendly and many of the locals know each other by name. There's a ton of aloha in the water, generally. The wave hog is an anomoly and great source of consternation, especially with the unitiated. I tend to work around him because I've similar equipment and experience.

The question is, does this guy deserve the same courtesy and respect found in our Surfing Golden Rule or does his greed merit a different standard when it comes dropping in and snakage?

9. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    Are these snakes on a plane?

10. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Admittedly--even I'M a fan of this sorta thing....

But this is actually kinda creepy:

[​IMG]

You're welcome.