Skip Frye

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by shadydave, Apr 4, 2020.

1. DKNJ

DKNJ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    My understanding is that rule is still in effect.

dubstar, JMJackFish and Bighouse like this.
  2. Fubar

Fubar Active Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    That is the one. A perfect gift, enhanced later by the *possibility* that it might be a Skip, but never to be profited from, only enjoyed.

3. strez

strez Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I am grateful to own the board in the pics. It is 9'4" and was owned before me by the father of a friend. He got it new in '68 I think. He is a big guy and the shop sold him a "shortboard" but it couldn't float him, so he brought it back and they "unloaded" the Frye on him. Longboards weren't cool then so the shop was happy to get rid of it. It has a WAVEset box and came with a Yater Rudder which I did not like - way too stiff. Neil made me a great finbox adapter and per Shady's recommendation I have used a Velzy Classic. Much mo betta. Next to try is a 4A. It is my only longboard and has lots of belly and very knifey rails. It feels like a long hull. I love it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  4. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Another Beauty and 1 of 2 yellow tint Frye’s that reside in Mass that I know of.

walkingtheplank and Jaimo like this.
  5. Bighouse

Bighouse Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    I love that your Frye comes with a story, not a big receipt.

kpd73 and DJR like this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Active Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    I had a G&S Frye pintail that was pretty decent from my memory, so it had to be as good as other top boards from that era. Aside from the nostalgia value, I cannot understand why old, heavy, sunburnt longboards command such collectors value. There are so many good shapers now, you can get anything recreated, they are much lighter, the quirks have been addressed and if treated properly, will last you for years.

There was a time in the early 1980's when shops just started to manufacture longboards again. Those first longboard blanks coming from Clark Foam at the time were really funky. They had too much rocker in the wrong place so those boards tended to plow in the water. I had ordered about a half dozen new boards from various shapers over an 18 month period of time before I gave up out of frustration and went back to riding vintage era boards although they were quite a bit heavier. Once the blank problem was fixed, some decent boards started to come out of the shops. I have a couple of vintage boards hanging in my goat barn that will never see the water as long as I am alive. New boards are the way to go so unless there is some kind of meaningful nostalgia, I don't see the big fascination over ugly old vintage boards.

7. walkingtheplank

walkingtheplank Active Member

Aug 2, 2004
    wherever i am
    that's sick - i've never seen a yellow tinted G&S Frye before...notwithstanding that the board's in such beautiful condition!

8. Cbowbo

Cbowbo New Member

Nov 18, 2016
    South Jersey
    I've had this Skip G&S for about 6-7 years. Asked Bird Huffman about it and he stated that in his opinion it was shaped by Skip, via the handwriting along the stringer. I've checked other newer Skip boards and the writing style is the same. The numbers are typically big and fat. The Skip G&S board in the background has the same writing style 1020171928.jpg 1020171928b.jpg also but the laminate says "Skip Frye Model", while the green board just says "Skip Frye".

Attached Files:

longhairhippie, DJR and Driftwood like this.
  9. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    Dave, I'm actually not sure that there truly IS a major value discrepancy between the value of his new boards vs his G&S boards. I could easily be convinced otherwise, but I personally haven't seen an overwhelming number of his newer boards sell for more than people are paying for his G&S boards.

Based on what I've acquired over the last 2 years, I'd have to say that it all comes down to overall condition. 60's era boards I've bought that are 7-8 condition on a scale to 10 have been of higher value than his 90s/2000s era boards I've acquired in 5-7 condition. Rarity also plays a big factor. Finding a clean TC model from early 2000s will be more valuable than a clean 60's Pro Model, but a clean 60's Flying Fish or Double Eagle will be more valuable than a clean Fish Simmons or Eagle of the 2000s.

10. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York