Skip Frye

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by shadydave, Apr 4, 2020.

1. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    So with all this Skip obsession I’m curious why his G&S boards don’t seem to hold the same monetary value as his later shapes? Being a lover of vintage boards this has bewildered me. Honestly just looking for people’s opinions. :)

imagine the let down when you didn’t see one for sale. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. DKNJ

DKNJ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2016
    Ocean, NJ
    If anyone spots a G&S shaped by Skip, that isn't holding it's value, (getting it at a steal) please let me know!
    To your point, I agree. And I have missed 3 now that slipped thru my fingers.

3. strez

strez Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    Maybe the G&S lam somehow is an issue for some? Did Skip shape all the G&S Frye Models?

4. shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    My understanding is Yes.

5. JMAC

JMAC Active Member

I think the majority of people just don’t know what cool is Dave and I hope they never figure it out.

Chap75, NewportLogger, DJR and 4 others like this.
  6. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I think comparable to other vintage boards they are still pretty pricey - See Joe's CL for example. Or that pintail that Jeff is holding is pretty valuable on par with surf auction standouts.

So i'd say that the collector value is still there but the notoriety of boards that were thought to be iconic noseriders for example or affiliated with colorful surf personalities of the era will ostensibly garner higher prices. Older Skips hold their own per se but in the period they were never a standout board in the same way the Hynson Red Fin, Hobie P.E. or Yater Spoon were.
    Dont get me wrong they are good riders and I kick my self for selling the one i had. It was a very fun rider very tuned up as i recall

The explanation of the how the other hold their value today is like what Veterano says it's sort of cult like behavior but it also goes well beyond that. I frame it as a kind of consumer exceptionalism that props up the status of the purchaser. The more expensive a thing is the better it must be and if I can afford this ____ then Im ROLLING baby - Pure Bling Factor ... for most not all.

The previous statement has nothing to do with the quality of the boards or the quality of Skip's person both of which I consider to be impeccable. Skip is a great person who has worked hard to get where he is as a person and professional shaper. His line up of boards are pure and inspired and uniquely standout way more that the G&S Frye model did in its day. In my opinion a Frye is worth every cent of what he charges.

The used market is pure fuQery

I think a unique element that is usually missed is a Frye surfboard is pretty rare insomuch that if you happened to be so lucky as to get a custom from him it will be worth more the moment you walk out the door. He is not the reason for this neither is it simple supply and demand. For this reason he used to have a rule that if you got a custom and you sold it for more than you paid for you will never get another one from him. The code only sort of worked but also helped drive the mystique and desirability for his boards and laid the ground work for the current situation. I'd say those who ignored the code and of course dick-head flippers are mostly to blame for all of this. The other contributing factor is the Japanese market which is a topic for different thread.
    anywho, it all goes full circle back to my earlier point being its all about the bling factor. but hey capitalism is going to capitalize.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  7. shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
  8. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Cuda hit it on the head. The boards built in the last 20-25 years are a status symbol for people to put on the wall, or load into their 4x4 Sprinter vans that they use to navigate the treacherous road down to San Onofre. It's all about status.

The nice thing is when you see someone like that in the water you can drop in for free, no way they're risking a ding. :)

Tenfooter, glider_boy, Artz and 11 others like this.
  9. Kelly

Kelly Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Ib
    I value my g&s skip more than I've valued my other skips (or any other board for that matter). Probably because I've had some stellar, unforgettable sessions on it. It inherently has more history built into the board than a normal Skippy. Just my opinion.

DJR and shadydave like this.
  10. Fubar

Fubar Active Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I have a G&S made in 1967, a present from my wife when I turned 50, made the year I was born. It was bought from someone here, but I don't recall who -- she arranged it. That summer, at the Cape Cod Old Timers, the guy who judges the boards (and has a large vintage board collection) told me he thought it was shaped by Skip. Was it? Sure, why not.