Skin Cancer - Melanoma on ear. Graphic WARNING (multi-post)

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dsquare, Sep 19, 2019.

1. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Hang in there! It sucks but, the alternative sucks big time!

I started with a few little “spots” here-and-there then, in 2010 went with a melanoma on my right forearm. Full on surgery with a sentinel lymph node extraction! Freak out mode for a couple days but everything was Okay.

dsquare likes this.
  2. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Freak out mode understood! BTW- He ran a genetics scan/test on me as well. I came back with 95% confidence that I WILL NOT get a melanoma. That's the best rating I could have gotten. It tells me two things: 1) I'm probably gonna be ok. 2) Even in that grouping I still got a melanoma- so nobody is safe.

dingpatch likes this.
  3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Man d, glad you caught this and on the mend.

4. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Thanks for the sharing Sometimes we need this to remind us or kick us in the ass

5. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    Holy f. I would probably quit surfing if that were me.

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Heal well and give it the time that it takes.

Melanomas are really hard to get a handle on. Popping up weird places, sometimes showing very little on the surface for a long period... as you said having or not any situational realation with sun exposure depending on which studies/opinions you choose to go with.

All I can say you guys is to get checked out. Often, if you have any doubts at all.

I've seen my dermatologist at least once every three months for the past decade and was amazed when last week she said "Well, I think we can go six months this time! Unless you notice something (she knows how attentive I am by now) and then just call. My secretary knows, so we'll see you within the week if needed."

That may sound excessive, but the biopsy sheets I've collected tell me it isnt. I've had aggressive Squamous cells go from a dry spot about 2mm wide to a deep, open sore the size of my thumbnail in a four-week period. And years ago, nearly lost a good chunck of my nose due to a Dr. with a "let's wait a bit and see" attitude. Find the best dermatologist you can, then the best surgical team when needed, treat them with a lot of respect, and listen to your body.

Sorry for the long-windedness, this is a subject dear to me!

Back to the main point, heal well! Sounds like you have a great attitude and that goes a long way.

dingpatch likes this.
  7. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    #1 heal up and stay vigilante.
    #2 Thank you for the sobering reminder. It gave me Tyson-Holyfield flash backs.

dsquare and dingpatch like this.
  8. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Whoa. Thanks for the wake up call. Hang in there, looks like you're doing everything right so far by taking care of it.

9. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Yes, everyone, stay vigilante!!! You will learn what to keep an eye on. A lot of "things" that you may be concerned about will just be "an age spot", while a few things that you look directly at and don't "notice" will "have to go". With all of my skin cancers and lymphoma, the VA has a "testing grip" on me for sure, , , ,.

I posted the following before, , , ,

Here locally on 2ndlight there have been those who have complained about "this Derm Doctor" or "that Derm Doctor" being "Too Aggressive"!!! Too many biopsies with no resulting cancers found!!!!! Me? "Clip and dig away Dude, my life is in your hands, , , , , "

dsquare's comment about the Tyson fight rings true. After my surgery I had gone to "my" beach a couple times just to "get out of the house" and otherwise see what the Beach Bums were up to. During that time my wound was neatly wrapped up from above the elbow down to the wrist. The one day, after the bandaging was removed, but I still had the gnarly stitches, I walk up onto the dune crossover and the one younger Beach Bum gave me a "DUDE! What happened to your arm???!!! I saw my opening! I told him: "Knife fight in Costa last month. A guy jumped me." Then, I got real serious and looked down at my feet saying ", , , , I hadn't killed a man with a knife since Vietnam, , , ," "DUDE"!!!!!

I was on a 3 month schedule but am now at 6.

[​IMG]

dsquare likes this.
  10. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    best wishes, and full recovery for all of you!

dsquare likes this.