Sitting on Créme & Apparently....Japan’s Grail....

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by applekat, Apr 30, 2020.

1. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    So........during these (hang on a second—lemme poach from the news stations)....so...during these UNPRECEDENTED times....I’m perusing the unfairly abandoned quiver on my ceiling—I notice good ol’ Stiletto...she’s a beauty....1 of 50.....a true 9’5 artsy wonderkin—compliments of Kegel & Company—in all its Georgia O’keefe vaginal glory...a rare, bastard child of Gato heroi & Paul Frank (hack artist....don’t get me started, monkey-shines)....

....Anyway...it was brought to my attention that these f*cking things went at auction for some $4000+ (how?!?).....

(thanks, Tokyo)

and it has me thinking...

the boards we all acquire...

we ravenously gobble them up for so many reasons...the ride?...the turn?...the looks?...the prestige?...the legend? (Pm me for a REALLY great story about the time I actually convinced a young man that Gene Cooper is actually a successful carpet salesman in Des Moines, Iowa...loves his shag...2”)....

The question I pose is this.

Can boards give as much happiness OUT of the water as they do IN the water?

I honestly would adore the opinion.

yes...I’m gonna include a picture of a cat at the end of all this—-but—-that’s just who I am.

(her name is Cinnamon and she’s special needs—has absolutely nothing to do with this post.) A96083BB-68F9-4B37-AA70-3DAF01FFB0AB.jpeg
    CB75CB95-F122-4A6B-B851-C81E0A98582D.jpeg F0D72576-353C-4724-A257-52CBEF294A5A.jpeg

DJR, Sparky, michael and 2 others like this.
  2. nitsuj

nitsuj Active Member

Oct 3, 2005
    I've got one as well. Don't recall which number out of 50 it is as the numbers were just on those little sticker things. Have the bag, wallet and tee that came with it too. That said, mine's a rider. Fun board, if not my favorite.

"Can boards give as much happiness OUT of the water as they do IN the water?"

To some, sure. Some look at 'em as art and appreciate the craftsmanship behind them, some look at the time/effort it took to find their holy grail, some feel prestige in owning something others lust after, others get off on the monetary value of an object. Different strokes for different folks. For me though, no, while I think some boards are beautiful and works of art I'd never get the same joy looking at them as I would riding them (goes for women too, but sadly am not allowed more than one).

3. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Yes, running you're hands over a fine board (sometimes a diaper w/mothers car polish) is like petting a really happy purring cat that appreciates being petted.

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I think so. There's a lot of stuff that happens out of the water that is still part of the surfing ritual. Waxing it, scraping the wax to make it look fresh and clean again, loading it onto/into your car, carrying it under your arm. I think there's also a bit of a bond that you develop with your surfboard (from shared experiences in the water). Even fixing dings can be sort of an "intimate" (for lack of a better word) interaction with your board where you really get to know it in a different way. And of course, it can be a conversational topic between buddies or even surfers you don't know. All part of the collective surfing experience.

I have also gotten into the habit of taking pictures of some waves and my board at the end of my session. I find that I really enjoy being able to take a quick glance those pictures of my boards from time to time when I'm not surfing (ie. at work, etc).

Dawnpatrol, DJR and JBorbone like this.
  5. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    If that weren’t the case why spend time making them so aesthetically pleasing. When working on my glider’s design with Borbone he said something along those lines (to make me feel better about annoyingly bouncing between ideas)

“the “look” of the board 100% dictates how much you love the board out of the water. The shape and ride only gets you stoked IN the water, and a board is out of the water way more often than it is in the water”

JBorbone likes this.
  6. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ

no one cares about how a board looks when it's IN the water. If the aesthetic value of a board didn't matter and no one cared about how it made them feel out of the water, then everyone would be making/buying exclusively clear boards.

DJR, JMJackFish and shadydave like this.
  7. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a pretty fair collection of boards. Most of them are in the Bat Cave on display. I love looking at them. The details are amazing, different rockers, the various template shapes, the different rails. I love to have people who really appreciate surfboards come and look at them. They see the same things that I see and it's so cool!!!!! I have some boards that are valuable and some that are "trash" but I love them all. I have many of the boards I lusted after when I was a kid. I have boards almost identical to my first two boards, a Lightning Bolt shaped by BK like I had when I lived in Hawaii in 1975-77. I don't ride my vintage boards any more, I have modern boards that I enjoy more. I just love looking at them!!!!

hankster, JMJackFish and shadydave like this.
  8. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Your bat cave is like going to tour Graceland! The ones in your stairwell take the cake! Unreal. I still have dreams of them :)

Basenji703 likes this.
  9. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Thanks so much!!! If any of you are in Virginia Beach or visiting here, send me a PM and come visit. Social distancing rules apply. :)

JMJackFish likes this.