Silverspoon vs Trimulux

Jan 8, 2011
Netherlands
After some info about the Bing Trimulux and how this model compares to the Silverspoon.

I have a 9’6 Bing Silverspoon which i love in small walled up waves. Unfortunately in holland such conditions are rare. Occasionally i take the board on trips to France but only when i stay on short walking distance from the beach ( it’s glassed heavier then standard SS so a hell to cary).

Anyway i don’t use my longboard as much as i would love too......Conclusion i have to look for a more daily driver!!
My search is after a bit lighter board,more allround then my SS but still gives me the log feeling, noserideable and can handle a bit mussier, slower but bigger waves as well.

Would a Trimulux fit the bill? I have an oppportunity to buy 9’2 square tail or a 9’2 pintail. Would i notice much difference between the 2 And which would be the best addition to my 9’6 SS. BTW, I am just an average surfer, nearly 50, 5’11 and aboutn 185 ponds.

Any input welcome!

Thanks

respectthepeck

Apr 10, 2004
USA
I had both of those boards and although I have never surfed in Holland , I really liked the square tail trimulux better than then pintail. In little sectiony waves you could set up nose rides real fast and when it got bigger , and tending to close out i, I could make sections on that board that I couldn’t on my s.s. . There is not a lot of rocker so it is a quick board and a lot of foam is hidden in there. I rode a sparky fin in mine

Jan 8, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks respectthepack! Really appreciate the feedback!! I was once told that the waves we have in holland are a bit like east coast waves but smaller. Don’t know if it makes much sense as I’ve never surfed the east coast and pics always look better.
Do you think a pintail trimulux could handle bigger waves better as a squaretail?

Cheers,

sightpoint

Jan 28, 2014
2' and onshore
Yes. I had a square tail trimulux and it was very, very fun in east coast waves. Light and whippy and really easy to ride in lots of conditions. The video of Matt explaining the shape and saying what it does well is pretty spot on.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
I'll bet you'd do pretty well with that 9'2" square tail Trimulux. I am 145 lbs / 5'8" and ride a 9'6" Trimulux. I always thought I could stand to go shorter, maybe 9'2" might be a good match for me, and that was back when I weighed more like 160-165. Fast trimming, stable cross stepping, smooth turning, noseriding -- that's pretty much what it's all about, in that order. Excellent all around board and others that I have talked to locally have echoed those sentiments. It has covered everything from ankle high to overhead in terms of wave size. I don't think it's every surfer's do-everything board as the rocker is pretty flat and not as much fun for me if it's a very steep day with hairy takeoffs (but then I'm not grabbing a longboard anyway). However, I can ride mine in the vast majority of conditions that I would surf in. So, daily driver? Absolutely. I run a 4A and it completely revitalized the board for me, gave it some spring to the turns, and surprisingly improved its noseriding capability. I say go for it. Welcome in advance to the Trimulux club!

Jan 8, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks all for the input so far. I gonna ask the guy if i can try both of his boards. The pintail is about 300 usd cheaper so if i don’t notice too much difference I’ll probably go for that one.

More feedback always welcome!!

Cheers,

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
More feedback always welcome!!

Thinking about this thread, I decided to grab my Trimulux for a quick session before dusk yesterday. I've been riding more midlengths lately and less logs, so I thought it would be fun to get a fresh impression of it. It paddles much faster than I remembered. The biggest strength is that it is a fantastic trimmer (hence the name) -- take a couple steps up and off you go. I was surprised by the sections I made. It is wide (though not ridiculously so) and stable, easy to walk. The 4A in mine springs nicely off the bottom turn to set your line for whatever, cruising, noseride, etc. I am rusty in the noseriding department these days but I was able to get there. Any inability to get on the nose would have been my fault, not the board's. Overall, It's a great board. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you pick one up. Some photos to whet your appetite:

Trimulux.jpg

Trimulux2.jpg