SIDEWALK SURFING- discussions

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Here's me earlier this week getting a nice little double trucker on a perfect little kidney bowl. I absolutely love this thing. So much fun to ride and lots of different lines. If I ever won the lottery, I'd buy a house within walking distance to the beach and have someone pour me one exactly like it in my backyard.

Kidney.jpg

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Here's me earlier this week getting a nice little double trucker on a perfect little kidney bowl. I absolutely love this thing. So much fun to ride and lots of different lines. If I ever won the lottery, I'd buy a house within walking distance to the beach and have someone pour me one exactly like it in my backyard.

View attachment 35491
Nice view of you getting it done. Who poured that bowl/park?

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo

View attachment 35491

May I ask, where exactly is this?!? City/State? Skatepark name? We are currently fighting for a small skatepark that was originally in a master plan of one of the city parks in Denver but the skatepark was removed from the plans for final design discussions. The pool you are skating at 6' in the deep and 4' in the shallow w/ real coping looks so fun to skate!!! How's the transition? Can you keep the pump and flow going without loosing speed? That would be a cool feature to copy and ask for at the park in Denver I speak of.

Oh, we do have an existing small bowl here at a different park in Denver that I swear; I'm going to take a jackhammer to fix one of these days since the transition is slower than a drunken slug and the bowl has typical metal coping that, when my old a** can get to it, is about as exciting as grinding melted butter during a hot sunny summer day on pvc pipe.... Here is a vid me skating the offending bowl. (Full disclosure: some people really like the bowl in my vid, make that "some people", well "most people" who are obviously better skaters than I am... hahaha)

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
May I ask, where exactly is this?!? City/State? Skatepark name? We are currently fighting for a small skatepark that was originally in a master plan of one of the city parks in Denver but the skatepark was removed from the plans for final design discussions. The pool you are skating at 6' in the deep and 4' in the shallow w/ real coping looks so fun to skate!!! How's the transition? Can you keep the pump and flow going without loosing speed? That would be a cool feature to copy and ask for at the park in Denver I speak of.

Nice video! It looks pretty fun, but also very mellow like you said.

It's the new Wilmington Skatepark in Wilmington, Delaware. The transition is absolutely perfect, at least for me at my experience level. It's a really nice balance -- definitely not super mellow like the bowl you posted, but also not uncomfortably abrupt. Sometimes I feel like some bowls mimic pools to a fault (maybe?) where they are so authentically steep -- especially in the shallow end -- that I can't comfortably drop in because the transition is so sudden. This one is not at all one of those, yet it still feels very pool-like to me. (Full disclosure: I've never skated an actual pool, so take that with a grain of salt.) Maintaining speed and flow -- definitely no problem at all on this one. I think the transitions and the compact layout work well together and help tremendously with that. The smaller footprint might be easier to fit into your new park, too.

Here's a video of me from that session trying to get the feel for it.

Hope this helps!

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Nice video! It looks pretty fun, but also very mellow like you said.

It's the new Wilmington Skatepark in Wilmington, Delaware. The transition is absolutely perfect, at least for me at my experience level. It's a really nice balance -- definitely not super mellow like the bowl you posted, but also not uncomfortably abrupt. Sometimes I feel like some bowls mimic pools to a fault (maybe?) where they are so authentically steep -- especially in the shallow end -- that I can't comfortably drop in because the transition is so sudden. This one is not at all one of those, yet it still feels very pool-like to me. (Full disclosure: I've never skated an actual pool, so take that with a grain of salt.) Maintaining speed and flow -- definitely no problem at all on this one. I think the transitions and the compact layout work well together and help tremendously with that. The smaller footprint might be easier to fit into your new park, too.

Here's a video of me from that session trying to get the feel for it.

Hope this helps!
Helps a bunch!!! Will use the Wilmington Skatepark as an example design when dealing with the Denver Park and Rec's decision makers.... Oh and I'm with you on skateparks with pools/bowls that mimic pools steep transitions, etc. too much. Think for a strange period of time there was this push to build skateparks w/ more "gnar"(aka insane walls and transition). Would turn out that only a few would skate those "gnar" features and was unfortunately a waste of concrete.... Hahaha, "gnar" is such a worn out word.... Love your vid by the way, nice double truck grinds!!!