SIDEWALK SURFING- discussions

Tlri

Oct 30, 2017
Rhode island
Not quite done but after a couple weeks of my kids asking I had a weekend building project with them helping.
812A75F5-B567-439F-AFA1-CA279EBBF6A7.jpeg

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
Tom Groholski deck!!! Loved watching Groholski skate back in the day when I lived in the mid-Atlantic…. Oh and for only three sessions out on that cool set-up, that is a bad ass double axel backside grind pic of you!
Skated with Groholski a bunch in the 80's - super rad cat. Nice work here on this thread. That ditch video reminded me of my middle school years - we had a ditch like that we would have to clean before every session. We brought in several parking blocks for grinding and sliding. I sk8 a great bowl here but try to stay coping and below. Super hot in the summer so the sessions are quick. The kids can't understand that I wear pads. So crazy that they go for it unprotected.

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Skated with Groholski a bunch in the 80's - super rad cat. Nice work here on this thread. That ditch video reminded me of my middle school years - we had a ditch like that we would have to clean before every session. We brought in several parking blocks for grinding and sliding. I sk8 a great bowl here but try to stay coping and below. Super hot in the summer so the sessions are quick. The kids can't understand that I wear pads. So crazy that they go for it unprotected.
Thanks. Post some new pics of you skating that bowl and if you got them some you led ditch pics…. As I tell em, we ain’t dead yet so we are still active and we still skateboard/surf/etc!

Tlri

Oct 30, 2017
Rhode island
Waiting on an epoxy paint to come before I throw down the top layer of ply so it doesn’t get all wet and warp.
I’ll figure it out but if anyone has advice I’ll listen.
trying to figure out the coping.
There is enough sag in the 2x10 framing on the top crossbeam that holds the decking just below the coping that I have an uneven coping reveal. The edges will have a 1/4” but in the middle it’ll be closer to 1/2”. Was going to feather cut some ply as a spacer to put between the base layer and finish decking to help but if there’s a better way I’m all ears.

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Waiting on an epoxy paint to come before I throw down the top layer of ply so it doesn’t get all wet and warp.
I’ll figure it out but if anyone has advice I’ll listen.
trying to figure out the coping.
There is enough sag in the 2x10 framing on the top crossbeam that holds the decking just below the coping that I have an uneven coping reveal. The edges will have a 1/4” but in the middle it’ll be closer to 1/2”. Was going to feather cut some ply as a spacer to put between the base layer and finish decking to help but if there’s a better way I’m all ears.
Look up how to pour you own coping. Crete is better to grind…. Keep a sharp eye out on Craigslist for Skatelite or Ramp Armor…. Otherwise be prepared for occasional new surface every couple of years….. Invite everyone to skate with ya.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Here's some stuff to keep the thread going:

We've got a new bowl that was just built in town -- just 5 minutes from my office, so I'm hoping it will become a viable lunch break option once the weather cools down a bit! Really clean, fast, and fun.

Bowl1.jpg

In stark contrast, there's an old spot in the woods only 5 minutes from the new bowl that has been the #1 spot on my skate bucket list since I found it in the late 80s. Deep in the woods and imbued by the aroma of pitch pines, there's a random concrete bowl in the woods that we always called "the pool". It's actually a remnant from an old wild west amusement park that once existed back in the late 1950s. The park is long gone and nature has reclaimed most of it, except for the bowl. It has always been filled with water and unskateable anytime that I've been there, though it has been emptied and skated on occasion by others over the years. Someone drained it semi-recently and posted these pictures on Instagram -- I took a hike back to check it, but it was full of water again. However, it reignited my interest in one day doing the work myself so I can scratch that itch once and for all. It's a bit bigger, steeper, and deeper than it looks here. The concrete is pretty rough and cracked, so I'm thinking big soft wheels would be the call. I think it would be a blast carving some lines around it on a surfskate. It's funny how after all these years I am still yearning to ride this filthy old relic, even with a brand new, perfect bowl just a few minutes down the road.

Bowl2a.jpg

Bowl2b.jpg

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Here's some stuff to keep the thread going:

We've got a new bowl that was just built in town -- just 5 minutes from my office, so I'm hoping it will become a viable lunch break option once the weather cools down a bit! Really clean, fast, and fun.

View attachment 33913
Cool new bowl you got close by!! Assume that is you getting after it on the backside carve....... That theme park bowl in the woods looks like a "life's bucket list item to check off", so insane!!