SIDEWALK SURFING- discussions

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
On second thoughts I’m glad that bowl is in a different hemisphere … acorns are waaaay bigger than gumnuts (which (as you know) proved to be my nemesis this winter courtesy of two decent wheel stopping stacks).

Ha! Funny you say that, those gumnuts came to mind as a cautionary tale as I was sweeping up all those acorns.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
I recently introduced my 1 1/2 year old to skating (baby steps) and now I've got the itch to get back on asphalt a little more after a long hiatus. Obviously a lot of info in this thread, but would anyone recommend any specific setup for pumping around the street, some snake runs, and ortho injuries notwithstanding, some mild park riding.

Honestly thinking something like he 34" Kai Lenny or similar board.

Welcome back, and I think that would do you pretty good. I don't have specific recommendations but my advice would be to get whatever stokes you into get back into it, of course understanding that your tastes and needs might change as you go. I started back up on a modern popsicle with the goal of skating some mini ramps and was pretty surprised to find myself favoring bowls on shaped boards and reissues only a few months later. And even now, drifting back to mini ramps and exploring different gear for that. Good luck and enjoy!

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Welcome back, and I think that would do you pretty good. I don't have specific recommendations but my advice would be to get whatever stokes you into get back into it, of course understanding that your tastes and needs might change as you go. I started back up on a modern popsicle with the goal of skating some mini ramps and was pretty surprised to find myself favoring bowls on shaped boards and reissues only a few months later. And even now, drifting back to mini ramps and exploring different gear for that. Good luck and enjoy!
I echo CW’s comments about enjoy getting back on a skateboard, whatever version of a skateboard…. But like surfing, no one individual skateboard does it all. A surfskate would be fun on the flats and mellow driveway apron slants (look out for cars on the streets whizzing by, sad story I know of related to a dad who got hit longboard skating out of his driveway). Though until you are really up to snuff on a surfskate, it might be real sketch on a pump track to say the least.

I’m partial to skateboards with a tad bit of length longer than a traditional skateboard that have regular trucks and soft wheels. Those work on the street and can also on an asphalt (Velosolutions) pump track.

But if you are looking to hit your local skateparks snake run, banks, and pump track, I’d say get a wider shaped deck somewhat longer version with wide trucks and modern wheels that have some softness but hardness to skate smooth concrete transition skateparks. For example:

-33” long deck 9.5” wide (shaped with a shovel nose… stay away from classic 1980’s re-issue boards that lack proper construction, have minimal concave, warp, and are nothing better than wall hanger art)

-Ace 66 trucks w/ risers (1/8th”)

-Spitfire Formula-four 58mm wheels

If you get bored with it, you can add another set of risers and get some soft 60mm 78a wheels for a cool looking and fun cruiser.

Other option is to have two boards a longboard with soft wheels for the sidewalk surfing (or a surfskate) and another deck set up like above for the skatepark and pumptracks.

Piece of advise, don’t listen to the youngsters employees at the local skateshop who will try to talk you into a way too small popsicle stick board with rock hard wheels that you will regret buying. Always would bum me out to see a grown adult trying to get back into skateboarding sporting a board made for a kid decades younger and about 100lbs lighter. Guaranteed bust you ass on that set up.

Funny, I have too many skateboards like I do surfboards and snowboards and snowskates. Yeah, I got a board problem. Too bad you don’t live in ColoRADo to try out my quiver that one day will be given away on Craigslist for dirt cheap.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
I skated this beautiful beast last week. It's a 10' amoeba with all the pool fixins -- pool coping, tiles, death box. The leaves did cramp my style a little bit mentally but it was too deep to get them out without leaf bags. It's refreshing getting into some bigger bowls for a change since everything near me caps out at about 7' (related to construction laws, I think). My first goal was to work up the courage to drop in on the shallow end (about 7' and vert)... check. My second goal was to hit tiles in the deep end... almost got it! I'll get it next time with harder wheels and rested legs.

Amoeba2.jpg

Amoeba1.jpg

Amoeba3.jpg