SIDEWALK SURFING- discussions

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Anyone else been skating lately? I had a fun time making a return trip to this pool-style bowl last week. It's about 4'-6', but vert all around like a legit pool. It really makes for some tight transitions! I recently broke the ice on vert drop-ins (something I regretfully avoided back in the day), so I felt semi-confident about dropping into the deep end here this time around. Between that and starting to get some grinds on it, I was feeling pretty good by the end. Really enjoying these tighter bowls that mimic pools. One day I'll find myself a legit pool to skate, but until then this will have to do. :p

Q1.jpg

Q2.jpg

Q3.jpg

Q4.jpg

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Lovely bowl and kudos on very drop ins @Chilly Willy

I’ve finally worked out how to carve our local bowl. It’s something thing that’s taken an embarrassing length of time to work out given I can string a decent line together on a mini ramp!

I definitely think there’s a shared dna with riding a keel fish!

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Here's one from the dusty depths of the VHS archive. Old footage of my buddies and me over the course of a few years learning to skate together back in the day. Never underestimate the fun you can have with just a skateboard, a curb, and your buddies. We always dreamt of an elaborate Animal Chin-like video of ourselves -- we even did most of these edits using two VCRs but could never quite figure out how to get music overdubbed. Good times.

Last edited:

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Anyone else been skating lately? I had a fun time making a return trip to this pool-style bowl last week. It's about 4'-6', but vert all around like a legit pool. It really makes for some tight transitions! I recently broke the ice on vert drop-ins (something I regretfully avoided back in the day), so I felt semi-confident about dropping into the deep end here this time around. Between that and starting to get some grinds on it, I was feeling pretty good by the end. Really enjoying these tighter bowls that mimic pools. One day I'll find myself a legit pool to skate, but until then this will have to do. :p

View attachment 45395

View attachment 45396

View attachment 45397

View attachment 45398
Damn that is rad!! Need to skate more. Been river surfing a bunch in Denver…. Heck, I need to move back to the beach and to skate more…. Ha

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Here's one from the dusty depths of the VHS archive. Old footage of my buddies and me over the course of a few years learning to skate together back in the day. Never underestimate the fun you can have with just a skateboard, a curb, and your buddies. We always dreamt of an elaborate Animal Chin-like video of ourselves -- we even did most of these edits using two VCRs but could never quite figure out how to get music overdubbed. Good times.
Nice!!!

surf1ng

Jan 22, 2022
Adelaide SA
Awesome! Solid progression from start to end… the ramps got bigger and the tricks got more technical as you and your mates grew. So rad to have that in your achives.

Pokitren

Aug 8, 2022
Sydney
It looks amazing! Personally, I could fall on my knees, so I didn't learn to skate without knee pads. And elbow protection, of course. But I didn't use a helmet. I learned how to somersault :)

Hi all! Let me join your forum :)

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
It looks amazing! Personally, I could fall on my knees, so I didn't learn to skate without knee pads. And elbow protection, of course. But I didn't use a helmet. I learned how to somersault :)

Hi all! Let me join your forum :)

Welcome! That's funny, I grew up riding ramps where full pads and helmet were required. I still wear them all now if I'm on any kind of ramp because it just feels weird without them. Plus, I have that same instinct to kneeslide!