SIDEWALK SURFING- discussions

surf1ng

Jan 22, 2022
Adelaide SA
This one's for @longboardkook since you're a ditch guy. Circling back around to my post almost a year ago to the day... I'm happy to say that I finally skated a proper ditch. My cousin took me to this spot sometime in the 80s when we were kids. They called it "Pipeline" -- it has a new name now, but it will always be Pipeline to me. It was a long ditch that ran downhill, around a curve, and terminated at a board-gobbling pipe that ran underneath a busy road. I wasn't yet a skater at that time, but we rode our bikes in it for a bit. It was always in the back of my mind as a spot that I'd like to skate someday. Doing some recon over the years, I saw that they chopped off half of it to build a retention pond, but it still looked worthy of a session. Fast forward to yesterday: I took a day off of work to try out a nearby DIY park that was only 5 minutes away from Pipeline, so I popped in to take a few runs for old time's sake and to finally get my shot at it. Of course, it looks a bit much smaller as an adult than when we were kids. I'm sure it's a cardinal sin to wear pads in a ditch, but I'm old and don't care. :p

I'm not a really great crust skater, but I did pretty good and had a lot of fun finally checking that one off my list.

View attachment 43851

View attachment 43852

I was delighted to see that some of the old graffiti was actually still there. I remember seeing this as a kid -- it was the first time I ever heard of Twisted Sister. Ha!
View attachment 43853

The DIY park has a bonus ditch tucked away in the back of the park. You'd need a snow shovel to fully clear it, so I just swept a small path so I could at least take a couple runs. It was actually more fun than I expected and could probably be fun if the whole thing was cleared. Nice scenery, too.
View attachment 43854
Awesome sessioning, love the back story and “animal chinning”.
That fired me up to track down an old concrete snake run in my city. Will report back.

Last edited:

dingpatch

Apr 2, 2014
Florida USA
So, , , , , way back when, 1975 in Tallahassee while going to FSU, , , , , I went to class, worked, studied, ate, sleep and Skated. We skated all around campus and anywhere/everywhere else we could find in a 25 mile radius. One of my protégées found a "new" spot and was dying to try it out. OK, so one day we loaded in my car and went to the "new" spot. It was at a school, on the side of a "hill". The "spot" was a concrete drainage ditch that had been put around the "up slope" part and ends of a playing field. I guess the run-off from when it rained would pretty much wash the field away so, the culvert/ditch/whatever was put it. It was about 3 feet wide at the bottom, and the sides were about 3 feet high. I looked it over and said No Thanks. But the other guys were getting in line, , , , , ,. Well, there were two (2) Bad Things about it: The concrete was pretty "stony" from course gravel, and the worst part was that it was not "rounded" at all. the bottom was flat and the sides were flat and went almost straight up (they had a decent slope but the bottom and sides came together at a sharp angle).

Well, the Eager Beaver jumped right in and went for it, , , , , , , , , but he did not get very far. He got up some speed at went to go up one of the sides. NOPE! He ate it and received a very good Percussive Skull Bongo. That was it, end of the day, the hospital was only about 1/2 mile away. Oh and, for us, there were never any gloves, pads or helmets, they had not been invented yet, and for the most part no shoes either.

surf1ng

Jan 22, 2022
Adelaide SA
So, , , , , way back when, 1975 in Tallahassee while going to FSU, , , , , I went to class, worked, studied, ate, sleep and Skated. We skated all around campus and anywhere/everywhere else we could find in a 25 mile radius. One of my protégées found a "new" spot and was dying to try it out. OK, so one day we loaded in my car and went to the "new" spot. It was at a school, on the side of a "hill". The "spot" was a concrete drainage ditch that had been put around the "up slope" part and ends of a playing field. I guess the run-off from when it rained would pretty much wash the field away so, the culvert/ditch/whatever was put it. It was about 3 feet wide at the bottom, and the sides were about 3 feet high. I looked it over and said No Thanks. But the other guys were getting in line, , , , , ,. Well, there were two (2) Bad Things about it: The concrete was pretty "stony" from course gravel, and the worst part was that it was not "rounded" at all. the bottom was flat and the sides were flat and went almost straight up (they had a decent slope but the bottom and sides came together at a sharp angle).

Well, the Eager Beaver jumped right in and went for it, , , , , , , , , but he did not get very far. He got up some speed at went to go up one of the sides. NOPE! He ate it and received a very good Percussive Skull Bongo. That was it, end of the day, the hospital was only about 1/2 mile away. Oh and, for us, there were never any gloves, pads or helmets, they had not been invented yet, and for the most part no shoes either.
Great story.
No shoes... yikers!

When I skated the streets as a kid in the late 80's and early 90's I used to wear skate gloves - think they were Smith brand from memory and black and white. Saved some skin and helped with sliding :)

surf1ng

Jan 22, 2022
Adelaide SA
Yew! Go get 'em!
I was ejected by a gumnut at the snakerun... dohhhhh.
That's 2 times in 3 weeks I've eaten it via gumnuts with none for decades before that... not calling gumnuts my nemesis just yet but currently the score is gumnut 2, me 0 :rolleyes:.
Concrete is hard... I need to be a little more careful and check the shadows in bowls for the sneaky little gumnuts before I skate.
I had elbow pads and wrist guards on so I didn't lose any skin - but I did slightly hyper extend my shoulder and have a very bruised big toe (both of which will keep me out of the water for a couple of weeks or so I guess - double doh).

The snakerun has been redone... Bugger.
The new version pays homage to the original but is about half the length and has coping and angles and other things for tricks.
Chatting to some local crew - seems I missed it by 8 months or so apparently. Doh.

The original was around in the 80's and was later patched with nice looking concrete - this would have been brilliant on a Carver / Surfskate.

The snakerun used to look like this...
holdenhill1.jpg

with a little mellow bowl at the end...
holdenhill3.jpg

holdenhillsnakerunmcrd1.jpg

The patched snakerun v2 looked like this (not me, just referencing it) - imagine that on a surfskate :cool:...

The replacement has a snakerun but is like lots of modern skate parks with hips and edges that have no appeal to the old school carver in me. No doubt the kids love it.

There is a small bowl at the top...
IMG_2183.jpg

and a bigger bowl around waist height down the bottom...
IMG_2179.jpg

Plenty of fun but bailed after the gumnut got the better of me and I was yearning for the original.

Last edited:

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
currently the score is gumnut 2, me 0 :rolleyes:.

Revenge of the killer gumnut! Sorry to hear about the slam, but that snake run otherwise looks pretty fun. I like the retro vibe of the old one, too. I think I prefer when they keep the old ones old. Depending on how sharp the angles of those hips are, you might be able to use them to your advantage by pumping over them (maybe halfway up or less) for some extra speed. It still looks pretty great for a surfskate though!!! Heal fast and have fun!

surf1ng

Jan 22, 2022
Adelaide SA
Revenge of the killer gumnut! Sorry to hear about the slam, but that snake run otherwise looks pretty fun. I like the retro vibe of the old one, too. I think I prefer when they keep the old ones old. Depending on how sharp the angles of those hips are, you might be able to use them to your advantage by pumping over them (maybe halfway up or less) for some extra speed. It still looks pretty great for a surfskate though!!! Heal fast and have fun!
Hehe… hopefully it’s not a trilogy :eek:.
Thanks.
Agreed, the new one is pretty rad and great fun but as with you, I prefer when they keep the old ones old…haven’t the Council seen Animal Chin :p? If I wasn’t seeking the longer and mellower original for my surfskate - and didn’t get gumnutted - I would have been more stoked on it.
Was fun on the Carver but spent most of my time on my Ripper.
Love the snakerun concept and it’s pretty mellow compared to lots of other parks around here tbh. Will have another skate there sometime and will try your suggestion for lines with pumping advantage - if I get brave enough… those hips etc freak me out a bit.
Thanks so much.
Happy skating and surfing.

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Love the snakerun concept and it’s pretty mellow compared to lots of other parks around here tbh.

We've got one skatepark around here with a short snake run that reminds me a little bit of yours -- really mellow but so much fun. I've hit it both with a regular skateboard and a surfskate. A surfskate is a blast and feels super surfy winding your way through it. I wish we had more of these around here.

OC.jpg

surf1ng

Jan 22, 2022
Adelaide SA
We've got one skatepark around here with a short snake run that reminds me a little bit of yours -- really mellow but so much fun. I've hit it both with a regular skateboard and a surfskate. A surfskate is a blast and feels super surfy winding your way through it. I wish we had more of these around here.

View attachment 44439
That looks freaking magic! Way better than the redone one I was at. Much less sharp angles for better and smoother flow.
I would love to skate that park on both style of boards… I need a time travel device to skate that one stat! :p.
Thanks for sharing the pic, I’m in love.

dingpatch

Apr 2, 2014
Florida USA
Well, we did wear shoes when the surface dictated it. But, NO gloves, , , , , we considered it to be Bad Form to touch the ground with your hands.

Way-back-when the first skate park with a "bowl" was built in Cocoa on 528. It was pretty nice. There was a pretty good "ramp" leading down into the bowl. This was before any "airs" and such. My buddy and I would push off of the top of the ramp as fast and strongly as we could, , , , , with one of in front of the other with the rear person's hands on the fronts hips. we maxed out the top of the bowl and many times our front wheels went past the top. The "manager guy" was Fit To Be Tied !!! He yelled at us and took us off the course. He told us that he NEVER wanted to see us do that "kind of thing" again; it was giving the younger guys "Bad Ideas"!!! LOL