SIDEWALK SURFING- discussions

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Damn that is "RAD-E-KAL-MON!" And you skated it both traditional skateboard and surfskate. Funny, I was about ready to call a local Councilwoman who wants to build a skatepark on something similar that has been skated since the 1970's here in Denver... But getting back to your bowl, the 60+ year old bowl... Would love to see some skate pics and stories of it back in the day. Would also be cool to see pics of back as part to the wild west amusement park likely built for water storage.... Though I wonder did really Mellow Cat and The Rattons from Skateboarder Mag days actually discovered it first in the 1970's?.... Who owns the property now? Could the bowl be restored as a DIY project?!? Should it be included in the historical register of skateboarding???... So many questions and potential!!!... Bet there is plenty of stories both in print and interviews that somehow need to be documented, like what am trying to do to get our old skateable spillway built into a city approved "Permission DIY Skatepark" that I will post more about soon... Your bowl pics are inspiring!

Good luck with your local spot! I'm all for preservation for historical spots. Looking forward to hearing more about it!

Answering some of your questions: Unfortunately, I haven't found any pictures anywhere of people skating this one (and I have searched countless times). I don't doubt that it was skated as far back as skateboarding existed since it was abandoned at least by 1963. I've heard some stories from other guys, some who called it the Cereal Bowl, others who called it the Turtle Bowl. We called it the Pickerel Pool. The property is now owned by the county and dedicated as open space, which is awesome. Many people have made improvements to it over the years, and I'd say it is substantially better than when I first saw it in the 80s. Due to crumbling concrete, there was only one skateable section back then, like a half pipe. You can skate the entire bowl nowadays. I have done a stupid amount of research on Wild West City (the name of the theme park) and finally found some photos in the Library of Congress of the bowl actually in use. It was a pond used to dunk the bad guys as "punishment" during their wild west shows. Here are some photos taken from the same angle -- the bowl being used in 1958 vs. 2021. For some reason, this totally blows my mind.

WWC1.jpg

WWC3.jpg

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Good luck with your local spot! I'm all for preservation for historical spots. Looking forward to hearing more about it!

Answering some of your questions: Unfortunately, I haven't found any pictures anywhere of people skating this one (and I have searched countless times). I don't doubt that it was skated as far back as skateboarding existed since it was abandoned at least by 1963. I've heard some stories from other guys, some who called it the Cereal Bowl, others who called it the Turtle Bowl. We called it the Pickerel Pool. The property is now owned by the county and dedicated as open space, which is awesome. Many people have made improvements to it over the years, and I'd say it is substantially better than when I first saw it in the 80s. Due to crumbling concrete, there was only one skateable section back then, like a half pipe. You can skate the entire bowl nowadays. I have done a stupid amount of research on Wild West City (the name of the theme park) and finally found some photos in the Library of Congress of the bowl actually in use. It was a pond used to dunk the bad guys as "punishment" during their wild west shows. Here are some photos taken from the same angle -- the bowl being used in 1958 vs. 2021. For some reason, this totally blows my mind.

View attachment 37469

View attachment 37471

That pic is a hoot of the bad guy getting dunked!!! You know, you have a perfect (as what Tony Hawk's skateboard park foundation calls it) spot for a "Permission DIY Skatepark Construction" since it is located on county property! From the looks of your current photos, place does not realistically need that much concrete work with proper quikrete along with touch-up Bondo of the smaller cracks.

The pie in the sky plan I have with our spot is to hopefully get the City/County of Denver to approve a DIY (my phone call today was successful and set up a first meeting with the staff member for the Denver Councilwoman that is pushing for the spot as a skatepark to talk exactly about doing a Permission DIY Skatepark Construction)...

Bet something similar could be explored for your bowl. Imagine the pitch; "We have this historical skate spot on county land that with volunteers and just a few bucks donated, could make for a perfect additional skateboard park for the county. Basically it would be an equivalent to a $50,000 new construction build that will cost a fraction of that. The project could be community based and become an asset of the county...".... This is the similar plan I have for the spot in Denver. Trick I think is, to get the ball rolling and hopefully it will pick up momentum. At least that is my hope!

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
Here is a photo I created for discussion purposes with the govt officials for a Denver Permission DIY Skatepark Construction.

Excuse the obvious Thrasher Mag-esque Poser of the Month skater aspect of the photo. But damn (pun fully intended), that huge over-vert wall says "surfing" to me especially as a landlocked surfer jonesing for real waves.

BTW, I have this personal saying, "Can't fail without trying!". Often I'm seriously ridiculed for my crazy ideas, but sometimes my crazies work out.. hahaha.

IMG_2413.jpg

Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
USA New Jersey
Here is a photo I created for discussion purposes with the govt officials for a Denver Permission DIY Skatepark Construction.

BTW, I have this personal saying, "Can't fail without trying!". Often I'm seriously ridiculed for my crazy ideas, but sometimes my crazies work out.. hahaha.

That's awesome!!! Your spot is light years ahead of mine, but an awesome suggestion and something to consider regardless. Good luck, and hopefully they give you the green light!

Also, so funny. I have a similar saying: "If you don't ask, they can't say yes." I think the world needs people with crazy ideas or else nothing would ever get done.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
I'll admit, I've always viewed the whole surfskate thing as a bit of a fad and possibly even a bit contrived... All that arm waving etc. but that guy has kind of changed of mind.