Shoulder replacement?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Artz, May 31, 2019.

1. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Has anyone had shoulder replacement surgery done?
    Right now I am in a lot of Pain. Been dealing with a as the Dr said a significant amount atheist in my right shoulder. Had a cortisone shot and My shoulder was feeling good. I was still taking it easy. Only surfing waves hip high at the most. Doing some in water Surf Photos in small surf. Went out Tuesday in weak Surf. Had some pain but nothing bad. The next day the pain was bit worse. yesterday It was bad. Today really bad. I’m thinking about getting shoulder replacement surgery. Have an appointment Monday with my primary
    Anyone have this done? What were the results? What was your down time?

2. Tlri

Tlri Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    Haven’t had one but work for an orthopedic implant company and sell the implants. Been in 100+ Shoulder replacement surgeries and have some info if you want to pm me.
    Better option is one of the sports med orthopedist that I work with I surf we too. I’m sure he’d be happy to speak with you as both a surfer and surgeon who has done shoulder replacements and helped rehab patients after them.
    Would also be happy to talk with my colleagues in your area to find the best shoulder replacement guy near you for you to talk to.

northbeachboy and Artz like this.
  3. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Not me, but one of my fellow "old guys" at O'Club had it done. No big deal. The PT afterwards was a "pain" but he was back in the water soon enough. He had been suffering with it for a number of years. Afterwards, he said that he wished he had believed the doctor and understood more about the process Years Ago!

Artz likes this.
  4. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Thanks After I talk to my Dr Monday I’ll be in touch. I’m in the VA health system.

5. tc96707

tc96707 Member

Feb 3, 2016
    USA Hawaii
    A friend had his "replaced" last Summer. Although he was back surfing in 9 months, doctor did not know he went surfing. Friend did a self-evaluation and went. He surfed a narrow stand-up paddle board. He is fine today.

While another friend who had his "repaired" AND listened to his doctor took little over a year to be surfing again. He only surfs longboards. It was a gradual return to surfing which started about 8/9 months after surgery. Initially, he had to knee paddle only (no riding waves) for a few months; doctor did not want the over-the-shoulder paddling motion. Later, doctor allowed full paddling motion and now he is back surfing. He is fine today too.

Artz likes this.
  6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Some on here have offered detailed opinions on these types of subjects. I have no expertise or knowledge other than shoulders are VERY complicated. Seems to me it would help to know exactly what the precise diagnosis is. You described pain and atheist. Odd.

PeakMaster and DanSan like this.
  7. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    He might've meant arthritis.

8. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Of which I know too much.

9. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Yes a thorough work up..

Ive 30 yrs OR experience..neuro/ orthropeadic first asst...6yrs rep for
    Biomet in the middle.....now 5yrs adjunct professor of surgical technology

Reverse shoulders are awesome

10. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I was in a similar situation. I elected to have a stem cell therapy instead of a shoulder replacement about four years ago. It was extremely effective as far as pain goes. Not as effective for increasing range of motion. It wasn’t covered by insurance either. But still I am very happy with the results. I can sleep through the night with no shoulder pain at all now.

Artz likes this.