Shoulder Pain in relation to board size?

kv63

Jan 7, 2021
California
I have major shoulder pains after a session on my traditional poly 9’0” and minimal pains on my epoxy board build by Jeff Becks from Nine Lights. Its not painful, more like nagging subtle annoyance. For me, its the weight of the board. I am currently having @Bruce Fowler shape me a 8’8” x 23 1/4 x 3 1/4 V8 and having @JeffBeck glass it in his bionic epoxy so that I don’t have to deal with the weight issue. I hope that helps you out. Feel free to contact me if you would like more information @slideright

NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
Short/fat boards are better for shoulders. Duck diving is easier than wrestling a log on the paddle out. Not to mention carrying to beach and strapping to roof of car.

Unleash My Log

Oct 20, 2021
Rhode Island
I tore my supraspinatus ten years ago. Then I became a knee paddler. Takes some practice but it's a game changer.

I knee paddle at least 75% of the time I'm surfing my log. Saves gas which extends sessions.

Hope your shoulder feels better man.

Camel Rock

Mar 23, 2020
San Diego
I used to have some discomfort on my pig with D fin, due to extra weight drag, etc. I don’t seem to have the same issues with my gliders and speed shapes though.

Hope you find a shape that works and keeps the wave count up.

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
I surf a wide range of boards from 6 to 11 footers

I also suffer from impingement and whatnot in my left shoulder. My fysio actually tells me its originating in my back and effecting other parts of my body. What helps for me is not sleeping on that side and doing specific gym exercises like heavy overhead press and external rotation exercises on the wire rack.

What aggravates my shoulder most is the way I paddle. Relaxed easy strokes I can do for hours.

Its those moments that I want to move fast that are causing problems. Getting caught inside and wanting to get out. Trying to make it out back whilst caught in a rip. Or even just paddling back after a very good ride with a strong desire for another wave. Its during these moments that I tense up and relinquish the physical looseness.

Its being mindful of the movement. If I am mindful, everything is fine. As soon as I loose that my shoulder starts to get aggravated

pintail

Feb 19, 2004
LA, California
That’s what injured it in the first place
And there you have it. Classic logs have their place, like classic woodies, but lighter materials make for a livelier, responsive board. The other thing about short boards that applies, is on a short board, you don't paddle as much to catch a wave, since positioning is the most important aspect of that. I'd recommend using your log only on really small days, where cruising is all you want, and your shoulder will thank you in the long term.