Shipping LA to HI?

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Well here's the thing......... weight can be a killer.

In that I mean IF you put too many in a box, they better be packed bomb proof or the weight makes handling difficult and they are more likely to get
abused and damaged.

I can ship 4 shortboards in a 17" deep box using Daylight Transport which is my trucking account that runs daily to the East Coast. I have no length limits on my account because I do volume with them....... however, their max weight for a box is 80 lbs. I don't ever hit that amount and wouldnit if I could because
experience tells me guys are gonna hate dealing with that big a box at 80 lbs.

The big mistake is to go cheap on the packing so you can get three boards into the 12" high box instead of really packing them great & using a 14" or even 17" deep/high box....... don't Jonez on the packing or you will pay the price that you thought you could save!

If you're sending a long board and a couple midsize boards, that should be do-able....... weight at 40 lbs to maybe 60 lbs max...... you can achieve
that if you use bubble wrap & really pack wads or what I call "crush zones" @ the nose & tail. I put my boards in bubble wrap tubing I get from U Line.

It's not cheap for a roll but it makes my life much easier to slip the board into a bubble wrap bag. I then have 6" or 12" wide rolls of "Bubble Mask" which has sticky adhesive on one side & I run the entire perimeter of the rails with three layers. Now the tubing is only 5/16" bubbles but it allows me to stick the
bubble mask to it w/o using a bunch of tape. You can get the Bubble Mask 6" or 12" in bigger bubbles like 1/2" and I've used both smaller & bigger versions
of it. So even using the 5/16", by the time you have the bag & 3 layers that's 20/16" or 1-1/4" bubbles all around the perimeter of the board.

Then you can add to the bottom & deck, which are less prone to damage. Daylight is really good....... but if I'm sending International, which means airlines,
I bulk up on the Bottom & Deck too becuz they don't give a sh-t about your shipment.

The cardboard boxes are 20 lb Kraft boxes, so they are better than most the freebie ones I get from my shop accounts that get Soft Tops and save them
for me to reuse....... a few Soft Top Suppliers use better boxes. The ones I get from Clyde Beatty, that does my Premium Build EPS/Epoxy Soft Tops is a better grade box (I have the option to get the boards bulk or prepacked, ready to ship). Those are better boxes that cost me $5 each and the boards are already wrapped inside. But those boxes still aren't as good as the Kraft board boxes FGH and others sell here.

You will likely just get the bigger bubble wrap somewhere but follow my tip on making sure the entire perimeter of the boards are wrapped well, Esp. Nose & Tail........ bubble wrap strength varies greatly, some will pop quite easily..... the cheaper stuff. You can put cardboard over it to prevent that but even with the good bubbles I use clear plastic tape from 2" wide rolls over the bubble to keep them from getting burst.

It took me years of experimenting the best and most economical way to pack the boards I ship. Dolly sent me how one of the other shapers she ships for packs them using heavier cardboard with the nose and tail wedged into envelopes of a sort and stapled thereby trapping them in the fold. Then the do the same kind of thing at the widest point of the board. The thinking is the wide cardboard traps the nose tail and mid section incardboard with airspace and
is then slid into the box. The cardboard is WIDE so the board doesn't shift inside thebox. If perfected, it is a smart & super cheap way to do it. However, you
have to make sure you have strong enough cardboard for those envelopes. Dolly sent me a photo saying "Here's how Josh (or someone) sends them, I prefer YOUR method."

Hope this helps......... it's good info for everyone and I don't mind sharing it........ break time is over, back to the shaping room.
Packing.jpg

Speak

Jul 17, 2012
USA California
Well here's the thing......... weight can be a killer.

In that I mean IF you put too many in a box, they better be packed bomb proof or the weight makes handling difficult and they are more likely to get
abused and damaged.

I can ship 4 shortboards in a 17" deep box using Daylight Transport which is my trucking account that runs daily to the East Coast. I have no length limits on my account because I do volume with them....... however, their max weight for a box is 80 lbs. I don't ever hit that amount and wouldnit if I could because
experience tells me guys are gonna hate dealing with that big a box at 80 lbs.

The big mistake is to go cheap on the packing so you can get three boards into the 12" high box instead of really packing them great & using a 14" or even 17" deep/high box....... don't Jonez on the packing or you will pay the price that you thought you could save!

If you're sending a long board and a couple midsize boards, that should be do-able....... weight at 40 lbs to maybe 60 lbs max...... you can achieve
that if you use bubble wrap & really pack wads or what I call "crush zones" @ the nose & tail. I put my boards in bubble wrap tubing I get from U Line.

It's not cheap for a roll but it makes my life much easier to slip the board into a bubble wrap bag. I then have 6" or 12" wide rolls of "Bubble Mask" which has sticky adhesive on one side & I run the entire perimeter of the rails with three layers. Now the tubing is only 5/16" bubbles but it allows me to stick the
bubble mask to it w/o using a bunch of tape. You can get the Bubble Mask 6" or 12" in bigger bubbles like 1/2" and I've used both smaller & bigger versions
of it. So even using the 5/16", by the time you have the bag & 3 layers that's 20/16" or 1-1/4" bubbles all around the perimeter of the board.

Then you can add to the bottom & deck, which are less prone to damage. Daylight is really good....... but if I'm sending International, which means airlines,
I bulk up on the Bottom & Deck too becuz they don't give a sh-t about your shipment.

The cardboard boxes are 20 lb Kraft boxes, so they are better than most the freebie ones I get from my shop accounts that get Soft Tops and save them
for me to reuse....... a few Soft Top Suppliers use better boxes. The ones I get from Clyde Beatty, that does my Premium Build EPS/Epoxy Soft Tops is a better grade box (I have the option to get the boards bulk or prepacked, ready to ship). Those are better boxes that cost me $5 each and the boards are already wrapped inside. But those boxes still aren't as good as the Kraft board boxes FGH and others sell here.

You will likely just get the bigger bubble wrap somewhere but follow my tip on making sure the entire perimeter of the boards are wrapped well, Esp. Nose & Tail........ bubble wrap strength varies greatly, some will pop quite easily..... the cheaper stuff. You can put cardboard over it to prevent that but even with the good bubbles I use clear plastic tape from 2" wide rolls over the bubble to keep them from getting burst.

It took me years of experimenting the best and most economical way to pack the boards I ship. Dolly sent me how one of the other shapers she ships for packs them using heavier cardboard with the nose and tail wedged into envelopes of a sort and stapled thereby trapping them in the fold. Then the do the same kind of thing at the widest point of the board. The thinking is the wide cardboard traps the nose tail and mid section incardboard with airspace and
is then slid into the box. The cardboard is WIDE so the board doesn't shift inside thebox. If perfected, it is a smart & super cheap way to do it. However, you
have to make sure you have strong enough cardboard for those envelopes. Dolly sent me a photo saying "Here's how Josh (or someone) sends them, I prefer YOUR method."

Hope this helps......... it's good info for everyone and I don't mind sharing it........ break time is over, back to the shaping room. View attachment 49135
Someone needs to sticky that post, what great advice. Thanks so much!

Does the freight company you listed deal with individuals? I’ll give them a ring!

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
One. last thing......... here's ULine's Bubble Mask.

1st time I used it years ago, they advertised it as "will stick to your product & leave no residue".

I wrapped 20 boards going to Zak's in Melbourne Australia.

Guess what, the stuff LEFT RESIDUE all over the boards....... the had to use Goo Gone and spent 45 minutes per board getting all the crap
off! I wanted to kill ULine!

Live n Learn............ that was years ago, but they quickly sold all 20 for $1,050 AUD and I talked to one of the guys that bought one and emailed me saying thank you and how much he loved the board....... I mentioned the fins, which I included with each board and he said "they charged another $75 for them".

:-O

Members online