Shipping LA to HI?

Speak

Jul 17, 2012
USA California
Anyone use a freight service for shipping boards from LA to HNL? I'm debating if it's more economical to fly back and forth taking boards with me ($100 charge from Hawaiian), or to use a freight service. I've tried looking into a few companies, but they say the board must be boxed and I need to give the box dimensions for them to quote the price. Does anyone know what the typical dimensions are for a boxed longboard?

Thanks!

GETWET

Aug 14, 2008
oahu
Hawaiian has a max length at 9'6", check to make sure that still applies.
I think it will be cheaper with Hawaiian $100 each way.
Good luck.

mason808

Sep 8, 2022
Santa Cruz
Delta Air Cargo! The known shipper sign up process is tedious though.

I'm pretty sure Alaskan have no charges on surfboards as well, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
In the real world these guys are the pro's.

I shipped 8-10 boards in several boxes for about $30-$35 per unit to a Honolulu shop.

If you have several boards or more and are willing to carefully pack & box them then you can get them over there w/o too much headache.

I can give exact box dimensions if you tell me how many and what the longest surfboard is.

Speak

Jul 17, 2012
USA California
In the real world these guys are the pro's.

I shipped 8-10 boards in several boxes for about $30-$35 per unit to a Honolulu shop.

If you have several boards or more and are willing to carefully pack & box them then you can get them over there w/o too much headache.

I can give exact box dimensions if you tell me how many and what the longest surfboard is.
Thanks so much for this info!

Boards left to take:
Longest is 9’2. And ideally would like to send 3 if possible! The others I think I have sorted with relatives flying. But if it works out to cheaper, I’d opt to send the others this way also!

Where do you get your boxes from? Thanks again!

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
I get boxes from Fiberglass HI in Ventura....... they deliver to Haakenson. If you are down south I imagine you can get them thru Foam EX or Mitch's or someone down there.

I alsowas getting them from U.S. Blanks but they wanted to limit the number per order so I talked to Arctic Foam and longtime friend VP Marty Gilchrist
put me in touch with the company that makes the boxes......... so I talked to them and now I can have them make anything I want at a volume direct price.
That's not you, but when I buy 100-250 boxes, I expect to shave dollars off the price.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Expect boxes to cost $17 to $25 maybe even $30 for a big multi board one 114"x26"x14"-17" - depends on what size you get. FGH Single 120"x24"x6" runs about $17 and change plus tax....

Speak

Jul 17, 2012
USA California
I get boxes from Fiberglass HI in Ventura....... they deliver to Haakenson. If you are down south I imagine you can get them thru Foam EX or Mitch's or someone down there.

I alsowas getting them from U.S. Blanks but they wanted to limit the number per order so I talked to Arctic Foam and longtime friend VP Marty Gilchrist
put me in touch with the company that makes the boxes......... so I talked to them and now I can have them make anything I want at a volume direct price.
That's not you, but when I buy 100-250 boxes, I expect to shave dollars off the price.
How many boards do you typically put in each box?

I guess I would need to get strategic!