Shipping/flying with a shaped, unglassed blank

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
Shaped unglassed foam is tenderoni FoSho. If you look at it wrong it dents. Talk too loud it scratches. Touch with dirty hands and it looks like a skid mark. Just saying...

Adamclimbs

May 26, 2017
Santa Cruz
Marc Andreini recently showed me one of the bisects that he had glassed through Carbon compact. Tim who owns the board had a 1/4 “ plywood template of the board in the travel bag to protect it. Maybe you could do the same with the blank wrapped in bubble wrap. Then put it in one of cardboard boxes they ship pop outs in to surf shops. I can ask Marc what he does if you need me to.
9781F5E1-3EA2-4B47-BCEA-8420BB518E76.jpeg

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
How long is the board?
Is it a Brom Fish?
I'm gonna go against the grain here as I've packed a sh-tload of boards in my lifetime going all over the world
by planes, trains, and automobiles.
The lighter the load, the less chance it's going to get reamed is my theory.
A well packed shaped blank with the right method of bubble wrap in a good padded board bag & stick it on the plane.
If you want to fortify the bubble wrap with a heavier cardboard layer over deck & esp. bottom, then go for it before sticking in the bag.
The big focus is padding the entire perimeter of the rail, nose & tail which is easy to do with the right materials.

Crush zones for the perimeter can be achieved by using a combo of large & small bubble wrap preferably with the smaller (3/16" Bubble Mask rail strips) over
the top of the big bubble wrap. Use the better bubble wrap that resists bursting, not the cheap stuff. You can also put clear tape over the large bubbles along the
rail to keep bubbles from being collapsed on impact, with or w/o the 3/16" Bubble Mall or cardboard strips over the top.

Having al l the bubble wrap extend past the nose & tail then wrapping them w/tape and floding them into a crush barrier works wonders.

Slip into a padded 5mm day bag or preferably a 10mm travel bag, and you are good to go.

This will not work if some A Hole is intent on runnig a Forklift thru it.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
How long is the board?
Is it a Brom Fish?
I'm gonna go against the grain here as I've packed a sh-tload of boards in my lifetime going all over the world
by planes, trains, and automobiles.
The lighter the load, the less chance it's going to get reamed is my theory.
A well packed shaped blank with the right method of bubble wrap in a good padded board bag & stick it on the plane.
If you want to fortify the bubble wrap with a heavier cardboard layer over deck & esp. bottom, then go for it before sticking in the bag.
The big focus is padding the entire perimeter of the rail, nose & tail which is easy to do with the right materials.

Crush zones for the perimeter can be achieved by using a combo of large & small bubble wrap preferably with the smaller (3/16" Bubble Mask rail strips) over
the top of the big bubble wrap. Use the better bubble wrap that resists bursting, not the cheap stuff. You can also put clear tape over the large bubbles along the
rail to keep bubbles from being collapsed on impact, with or w/o the 3/16" Bubble Mall or cardboard strips over the top.

Having al l the bubble wrap extend past the nose & tail then wrapping them w/tape and floding them into a crush barrier works wonders.

Slip into a padded 5mm day bag or preferably a 10mm travel bag, and you are good to go.

This will not work if some A Hole is intent on runnig a Forklift thru it.
All flights are over 90% full and loaded in one end. 130+ regular sized bags will not safely accommodate any unglassed board no matter how packed.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
.....so they can't top load a well protected lightweight item? What happens to the pets in carriers & other such items. Are these same airlines refusing pax (passengers) traveling w/surfboards in travel bags?

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
No. There's clearance to 2" from ceiling and pet carriers etc are standard bag dims more or less and non fragile. Sorry but maybe just trust me. Post covid flying on most carriers is at capacity. Further, heavy bag fees are low so the average bag weight of 30lbs is close to 50 and you'll have maybe 20 bags at 70 to 100 lbs. Your shit will be competing with lots of strollers and golf clubs as well. Edit: pets in carriers are not flown with baggage.

icecreamheadache

Jan 14, 2006
This is EXACTLY why we come to this watering hole! Thanks for the ideas! Looks like shipping is the way but based on what I saw working for UPS (“OOOPS”) in DelMar in the early oughts that’s also out. Anyone got a car they need driven cross country?

Cute rich friend with a private jet?

Big flying thing that looks like a dog that 35 years later geezers are gonna tell you was actually a “dragon”?

Attachments

• EA19DEAF-8245-4CD8-A252-28FDF5489B0F.png
    EA19DEAF-8245-4CD8-A252-28FDF5489B0F.png
    48.3 KB · Views: 4