Shipping/flying with a shaped, unglassed blank

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
Question for you smarties- Any recommendations on the best way to ship a shaped, unglassed blank from SoCal to NYC? Aside from a shit ton of bubblewrap? Brom made me a sled I’m gonna have “treated” by Carbon Compact in New York. I’m not sure if I should wrap the f out of it in bubble wrap and fly it over in a coffin bag between two glassed boards or pack it up in a box for some other means of transport. All ideas will be much appreciated by a not-all-that-bright bulb!
I had done a custom in Portugal and the glasser bumped the door jamb and put a tear in the rail.
The client refused it, as soon as I returned to California I glued up a matching blank plus 3 others, reshaped the custom and heavily packed it between the other 3 blanks.
It safely arrived at Wavegliders

Adamclimbs

May 26, 2017
Santa Cruz
Have you talked with the folks who make the carbon compact? I know that Marc Andreini sends blanks from California to them. They must have the beta. In some ways it seems less risky to ship an unglazed blank.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
Anything is possible but it's really impractical. I suppose you could get some planks of eps and build a case then box the case. If I did this, I'd ship it vs baggage. Again, airlines are not shippers.

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
I would agree with shipping vs. baggage. One of the Bing riders over here has had blanks shaped by Matt and delivered for glassing here, in the context of a well-packed container they arrived okay. I would imagine custom crating and shipping would work, though it would cost a bundle.

When we put on a museum exhibit a few years ago, I was amazed at how well the workshop packaged artworks ranging from pre-contact paddles to a full-sized canoe to modern sculptures... and they come and go in museum circles frequently with very few issues.

I hope it's a really magical board for you.

KDenning

May 14, 2015
Ventura, CA
Like backtail suggested, could it be crated and shipped freight across the country?

I get 12v marine refrigerators shipped to me via freight cross country from the east coast and they always arrive in perfect shape although the crates really take a beating.

In my head you could wrap the daylights out of it with bubble wrap and sandwich it between a few pieces of insulation from a big box store and then build a crate around that slim rectangle shape….?

hankster

Nov 12, 2013
San Francisco
If in doubt, check it out. Looks like it's been done. Contact Dolly and get the lowdown.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Question for you smarties- Any recommendations on the best way to ship a shaped, unglassed blank from SoCal to NYC? Aside from a shit ton of bubblewrap? Brom made me a sled I’m gonna have “treated” by Carbon Compact in New York. I’m not sure if I should wrap the f out of it in bubble wrap and fly it over in a coffin bag between two glassed boards or pack it up in a box for some other means of transport. All ideas will be much appreciated by a not-all-that-bright bulb!
I have shipped a more then my fair share of very expensive Art works. It won’t be cheap. I would wrap rthe blank in shipping plastic wrap. Then bubble wrap followed by soft foam. then build a creat around it. In my 15 years of shipping Art all over the world. Only had two pieces damaged. One painting Worth $8,000 was dropped from an airplane cargo hold the nay thing damaged was the frame. the other was a hand coiled raku fired large Urn. Worth S1,800. It was smashed by a fork lift.
Call Dolly she is would make sure that the Blank would be packed right. If there is damage Shippers try to say the it was due to the packing was not adequate. In both cars the shipper paid for the damage.
Good luck with the blank.