Shipping Boards Now that Amtrak is Suspended

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by justsomedude, Sep 16, 2020.

1. justsomedude

justsomedude New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    New York
    Looking to ship four boards across the country, but really just want to hear everyone's thoughts on shipping now that Amtrak has suspended Express Shipping. I know Bruce Fowler brought it up in another thread, but never heard anything about alternatives. Any recommendations for cost-effective shipping?

Greyhound appears to have a length limit of 82", but guessing they aren't very strict about it.

2. garagefull

garagefull Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    In my experience, Greyhound is fairly strict on the length limit. I think it has to do with the size of the baggage area under the floorboards of the bus. I took a 8' board to Greyhound because the Amtrak rails were closed for two weeks. I had two people measure it right away and both tell me that they could not accept it. Finally a guy came out from the back and mentioned that there was one type of bus that could take it. But there was no telling when that bus would come to the station. It could be tomorrow, or it could be weeks. So they reluctantly accepted it and the board made it in a few days. I would not want to try it again. The best part about the experience was that the Greyhound employees refer to the bus with the larger cargo area as the "fiberglass" bus!

justsomedude likes this.
  3. justsomedude

justsomedude New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    New York
    Ha, good to know! I've got one board that is 7'2", maybe there's more "fiberglass" busses that depart Port Authority.

4. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    I'm in the process of figuring out some alternatives as well. It looks like if you have a business and can commit to an annual number of shipments, Delta and DHL are viable options. I'm currently exploring both of those routes

5. justsomedude

justsomedude New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    New York
    Tried looking into Delta a little bit and said there weren't any shipping times available for me, but I think it could have been due to my shipping window. Congrats on the move to FL btw!

6. JMAC

JMAC Active Member

Dolly is pretty much the only other option. If you can pack it she can get the freight company to pick it up...depends on location. If you’re in the San Diego area she could pack and ship for you obviously at a cost. Shipping cross country is about $200 something plus cost of packaging. She ships an obscene amount of boards so might take her a bit to get back to ya. Where are you shipping from? To?

Artz and justsomedude like this.
  7. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    The convenience and trust that it will be done right is why I’d use Dolly rather then try to save a penny and face aggravation.

justsomedude likes this.
  8. justsomedude

justsomedude New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    New York
    I live in New York City and will be shipping to Los Angeles. I've reached out to Dolly before to see about shipping a board, but didn't realize that she could set up the freight company to pick up and ship a board box. Seems like a great option.

9. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    Agreed, Dolly is not cheap if packaging and shipping and picking up from seller. Paid in excess of $300 each for 2 boards shipped together to njlongboarder and myself. That said, even if they tried the airlines could not have damaged them they were packed so well. No offense to Smukes.:D

justsomedude likes this.
  10. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Forward Air will do person to person shipping. they have good rates. if you can pick up and or drop off at a terminal you will save some $. the one caveat and maybe a deal breaker is that person to person shipments are not insured. I think that Business to person can be insured. other shipping companies worth considering are Daylight Transport and Pilot Air.