Shaper thread (show us what you are shaping)

kookycho

Jul 20, 2020
Los angeles
9’6”x21.75”x3” single fin?
7C863FD8-C813-42D6-A572-6BEA0585AFDA.jpeg
9186E3F7-9742-4076-B439-B9A26EF88547.jpeg
0CB3090C-89BF-40F8-B78D-16DE0E6F939F.jpeg
0069A19B-89E2-49AC-AE3E-52F08770D5F7.jpeg

deadhead

Aug 23, 2020
Encinitas, CA
Has anyone in here shaped a paipo? I love the look of the Wegener ones, and I have a bud that rides his in summer FL slop waves and has a blast. Feels like building one would be a great rainy day activity with the crap weather we've had these past few weeks.

Questions I have:

– What wood? Balsa? Having a hard time finding paulownia (which is what I'd want to use).
– Also, how wide would y'all go? Thinking of a length about 4'0'.

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
I’ve only made 4 of these so far ?
New take on pig style, not so blobish, speedier tail lines.
Working off the styles of Fred Wardy where Tinker honed his chops.
It is The Laguna.
A cut away fin that has plenty of area with rake for drive.
It’s been so damn nice to look at, Andrew got a call from the client, “ is Jim ever going to ship me my board “.
They got picked up today
View attachment 48787 View attachment 48790
Any more information on the Laguna? I have a Wardy that Fly dated to 62-63 and by my eye it seems a similar outline to this beauty of yours. Subtle outline for certain.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Getting ready to do a group of 15 ranging from 8'0" to 10'0".
These boards have proven popular & are not "Guns". They will turn well in chest high waves while holding their own in the bigger stuff.
They have a High Performance Rail, Foil, Rockerline & Single to Double Concave Bottom. The 4+1 Fin Option has been well received offering a variety of ways they can be surfed. The two pictured are 9'0" & 9'6". Longtime friend Marc Andreini told Bob Haakenson "tell Bruce these are gorgeous, love 'them" when he was in the factory at the time of their building.
I will post the new group once Arctic delivers the blanks & I get to mowing them.
66C2EB44-2D9A-4270-A53A-D51D636572FB_1_201_a.jpeg
0BCE3F86-07C9-4333-8F01-92CF25986D74_1_201_a.jpeg
E6B51013-04FC-4A7F-83F4-F6BAF6628D61_1_201_a.jpeg
D49D2215-1FA3-44B1-9513-A9DC92AFD4CC_1_201_a.jpeg
290FFB78-44D9-4354-AA85-54BB0053414C_1_201_a.jpeg
1298A154-DF23-41DC-A1C7-47D7F40BA682.jpeg
91154E90-DE7D-4046-87E4-F8D307B5A6A4_1_201_a.jpeg

Attachments

• 1BF89A17-5321-4325-81A1-BAE2469F408F_1_201_a.jpeg
    1BF89A17-5321-4325-81A1-BAE2469F408F_1_201_a.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 3

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Just my 2c, I dig the experimentation! Single fin would work and give you a certain perspective into how the contours are effecting, but maybe add some twin boxes to allow for more experimentation and evolution? Water flow along the bottom contours will tell you where to put those twins. Not sure where a harmonious placement would end up being - but I’m sure you’ll get something out of it whatever route you take. Get freaky.

kookycho

Jul 20, 2020
Los angeles
Thanks!
Just my 2c, I dig the experimentation! Single fin would work and give you a certain perspective into how the contours are effecting, but maybe add some twin boxes to allow for more experimentation and evolution? Water flow along the bottom contours will tell you where to put those twins. Not sure where a harmonious placement would end up being - but I’m sure you’ll get something out of it whatever route you take. Get freaky.
I actually shaped these shorter and set them up as a twin with a single fin box for options. Just wanted this one to be a pure single fin. I ended up shaping a lot more Vee out the tail and blended it all in after this picture was taken cause I realized it was more of a double concave and the tip of the tail was a little thicker than what I wanted. Vee starts at about 3’ from the tail

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
Has anyone in here shaped a paipo? I love the look of the Wegener ones, and I have a bud that rides his in summer FL slop waves and has a blast. Feels like building one would be a great rainy day activity with the crap weather we've had these past few weeks.

Questions I have:

– What wood? Balsa? Having a hard time finding paulownia (which is what I'd want to use).

I've done a couple in balsa and was thinking of doing another. The first was a 60's style paipo but with two nub style fins set out near the rails. Thick at 2.5" or 2.75 and wide, like 21.5" if memory serves. Thing was fast, on the heavy side, but fun. I'll try and find a picture of it.

Second was also balsa but much lighter, a bit thinner, and finless. I played with the idea of putting a single on it but never did.

My son built a foam on out of a broken longboard and it was a blast. Wide and thick, but really fast and very loose.

Should be a fun project!

deca

Feb 22, 2014

Questions I have:

I've done around 20 alaia and paipo(Tom Wegener started the resurgence of the Alaia and got me going on them). I have done a variety of wood including Paulownia, but its hard to come by. Red Cedar and Port Orford Cedar have been my wood of choice up in the PNW. Using a cross grain can slow the splitting down. A thin tail block helps as well, especially if doing a straight grain.

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
Long overdue update on my first (and only so far) shape. I will not even entertain the dastardly idea that everyone has not been waiting on the edge of their seats.

Between school, being on the right (east) coast where the board was trapped away from me, and inconsistent swell the stars have finally aligned to allow me to try out my shape.

Break: dumpy, fast, hollow, and clean beach break ~3ft
Board: hull type thing with WP way back and very foiled rails, and some messy rocker. Attempted riff on the v.bowls. Flex fin of own design and make.
Review: It works! I had some fun turns and short trimming sections. The break was not ideal as the wave was too fast for almost any board, but fuck it. I got it on a wave or two. Bottom turns feel wonderful, and there is some interesting lift in the nose from some buggered tail rocker which makes for an interesting forwards trim position. Learned a lot.

Enough with that though... my real focus and question for all y'all is about doubt. Because it has been so long since I shaped the board, and because the waves were honestly not ideal... I started to doubt if the board would even catch a wave. Visually I can tell there is some extra tail rocker and possibly mistaken distribution of foam towards the rear which was making me wonder if the board would work at all. Paddling out I felt so much distrust in the idea that the rails would even hold when I went to bottom turn and instead I imagined it slipping from beneath me like ice. Any other shapers experience this? Ultimately it is exciting because it means that no matter what you are going to learn something. But there is an odd weight of knowing that you might have just wasted all this toxic foam and resin for nothing much. And I felt like I could not even paddle into my first wave because of the fear that I did not trust my equipment.

Anyway, something new.