Shaper thread (show us what you are shaping)

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Currently in progress, another one for Bart Boyle.
I've made him my Stingers for decades.
Last one (the Rounder Tail pictured) was years ago.
This one is 9'0" not real wide (21 & change) and about 2-9/16".
Balsawood outrigger stringers & wil get double layers of S Glass on the bottom. He is going to make the move to Panama for residency & will
also take a Noserider I'll do next w/Reverse Rocker.
He already has his shortboards from me.

This board will get an 'hourglass' single to double concave bottom with razor sharp rails past the Sting which is up @ 35". He rides crazy little small
fins on these boards even after moving north to Mendocino area. Tail might get haped into round again....... haven't decided yet.
EDIT: Board went Next Gen & is now a Quadracave..... hope I can figure out photo snafu.

ah, crap, fotos ae loading sideways......... will correct & come back......... been
Bart Stinger Nose Angle 2022.jpg
Stinger Longboard.JPG
BART STINGER .jpg
Bart's Stinger in Progress Bottom.jpg
Bart BF Stinger.jpg
one of those days.
Here's a space saver until I get sh-t sorted out.

May be an image of water and ocean

Last edited:

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Maybe a few photos will work now.
The photo of the foil should....... the board netter at 9'0"x21-3/8"x2-1/2". Bottom Glass will be Doubel 4oz with both layers lapped wide onto the deck.
Deck glass 6S/4S stagger-lapped onto bottom. Just trying to keep this long fulcrum from snapping.
Bart Profile.jpg
Bart Stinger 2022 copy.jpg
bart Stinger closeup.jpg
Bart Stinger from Tail.jpg

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
Working through the custom orders first that we’re waiting for me at Wavegliders.
I always get one or two Vbottom requests, 8’4” x 22” x 3”.
He wanted one of the disappearing wedge with 0ffsets from a 10’2”B, equal amounts off each end left a good rocker.
He provided a nice Mac rendering with the corners of the tail falling on the offsets @ 10”.
About 2” or more narrower the previous ones, I have done.
I also shaved a bit off the curve heading into the tail, Thin rails, I wish it was mine!
36E40579-B2C0-4C2B-991F-4BC05F23DA90.jpeg
A8B73785-068D-4F3D-BD7F-2BD7A5C5D41F.jpeg

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
Love that nose outline with the smidge of point.

Is it a rolled panel vee?
I try to concentrate the V close to the tail and get the forward portion flattening to be more of planing hull.
The V was not the secret, it was the result of rocker at the rail line that was setting us free in the latter 60’s.
Some of the firsts were getting extra foam glued to the bottoms to achieve a dramatic V, it wasn’t necessary and less than a year later had moved on to S rocker transitional hulls.
There was no manual on what a surfboard was, from the first piece of wood that was caught up on a wave there were changes.
Surfboard design has been in a constant flux

Members online