Expedited freight and they arrive alive, The Hustler on the left and Van Velzer on the rightFinally getting production up to a better speed with Mikey at ColorWheel fitting me into their shop.
Blue tint VanVelzer, this was a remake that got blown in glassing, the client canceled on the second because of the lag time.
Andrew put up a pic of the unglassed blank and it became this board.
Ice grey tint Van Velzer at 8’11” for Rhode Island.
Shaped blank, Blue Max for Santa Cruz with the Swamis model glue up.
Clear Volan Hustler, balsa Redwood tband.
View attachment 48602 View attachment 48601 View attachment 48600 View attachment 48599
I’ve only made 4 of these so far ?BAD ASS JIM !!!!
Any feedback on my thoughts?!? Would love any advice!Update
I've logged some solid hours on the self shape. Absolutely loving it. Surprised about what it can do. I find it extremely versatile and such a perfect board for how I want to be surfing. However, I've only surfed it at points. Looking forward to seeing how it goes at some beachies soon. Some pros/cons below. Also some thoughts that I would love some feedback on from you pro shapers. thanks!
- green weight blank, 1/4" redwood stringer
- 7.5 volan + 6 (deck/rails) / 6 (bottom)
- noserides (5's) and easy to turn while up front
- carves wonderfully
- really great hully feel down the line and off the bottom
- loves forward trim and feels so so good up there. Trying to make a section, just step forward for a nose ride, stretch cheater 5 or just tuck and try to get covered up. so fun.
- early wave entry and glides so nicely
- feels really well balanced
- good paddler
- rail turns are ok but not as great as my liddle. I'm ok with this.
- get's tracky with too much back foot pressure so you have to be a bit cautious and know the limits. I think this is due to v all the way off the back?
- Make it thicker (3 1/4 vs. 2 3/4) and add an S-deck (any thoughts on what this might do?)
- make panel v more of a rolled v for smoother, less tippy feeling turns (thoughts?)
- Flatten out the V from half fin box backwards to reduce tracking issue (thoughts?)
- What would a pinched down rail up front into it's current 50/50 iteration do?