Shaper thread (show us what you are shaping)

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Macilious, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Please don't take this as unnecessary criticism, I dig on what you're doing. A really cool project you've got there. But in the future you may want to reconsider epoxy for your wood builds. There's a reason why nearly all the wooden boat guys went over to epoxy, and it sure isn't for cost savings! It simply adheres better to wood - expecially in applications where the wood is going to flex- which as a rider it will. I do 4+4 deck, 4 bottom on most of my balsa builds and never have issues with delam or solidity.

That being said, there are wood/poly riders out there that have been going for years. I just had a bad experience with a balsa delam a few years ago and never looked back.

2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Driftwood brings forth a very relevant point, , , , In my beginning fin making days I always had "trouble" using poly on various woods. Not all woods but, mostly the ones that you'd say are "the best looking", etc. Glass this morning, looks OK this afternoon but, tomorrow morning, , , , What The Heck !!! They would look like they were delaminating here-and-there. Did some internet research that led me to boat builder forums. One guy was asking about using poly on some marine ply in his old wooden ski boat. The one notable reply simply said "NO", about a hundred times, in bold 20 point!!! Another guy responded with "the only thing poly resin sticks to is poly resin". Further research revealed that it was a matter of chemistry. It is/was not a matter of the wood having too much oil/sap in it. The problem is that the chemistry of the wood has a lot of phenols in it; the stuff that gives your smoking wood its smell and flavor, , , ,. And, it is not just a simple matter of the poly resin not "sticking"; the chemistries of the poly and the woods just plain HATE EACH OTHER. I ended up stripping the glass off of a fin about two days after I glassed it. Underneath the cloth was a layer of "goo" that would make duct tape seem slippery! This is why, way-back-in-the-old-days, glassers hated to glass elaborate wooden tail blocks. I now put a sealing coat of epoxy on the fins, and then 60 grit it, prior to poly glassing.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  3. Largoazul

Largoazul Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Maine
    Driftwood , thanks for the input. Trust me you won’t hurt my feelings. Lol. This brings up the very interesting poly vs. epoxy subject. I hear what your saying about the wood bonding to epoxy better I completely agree. My next build may be with epoxy to test it and compare with the poly. My main reason for not using epoxy was because I’ve personally never liked the feeling of epoxy boards. Always seemed stiff to me. My thinking regarding the redwood was that it would t flex all that much compared to say a balsa wood. So I made sure I did a cheater coat before my lamination so get what dingpatch was describing as a better bond poly to poly. This is the first wood board I’ve built and have enough redwood for 4 more boards so I’m keeping an open mind and will be trying different things. Always good to hear others experiences. Love that stuff. If anyone else has other information regarding the subject chime in!

4. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Hmmmmm, , , , my understanding (but I'm a congenital idiot!) is that poly really does not like to be flexed, while epoxy is much more bendable.

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Sounds to me like your laminating process was a good one. From what I’ve read and experienced, epoxy resin is superior in many ways. Adhesion and flexibility are two of those qualities. Just remember the cloth and resin are nothing more than the ‘hard candy shell’ around your core material. I’m not the best at detecting flex in any surfboard so how anyone could feel flex in a wooden board is beyond my sensitivity. Great work!