Shaper thread (show us what you are shaping)

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Macilious, Jul 31, 2019.

1. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    E85DF734-52AD-4B3D-8F60-F881664A34EC.jpeg 14EA3238-4A81-4A20-AA70-2E4F8EC9F52E.jpeg My second summer coming to Ericeria, this area is super, the people of Portugal are friendly beyond belief.
    I did get s but overwhelmed by Cod fish planned as part of any meal, but in general the food rocks.
    I’m not much of a drinker, but Super Bock or Sagres with lunch each day.
    The surf spot in front of Nico’s is the Portuguese Swami’s, but everyone was calling this year the year of no summer.
    Did surf it 4 times OK, but not like it can get.
    I worked my tail off to do the Blanks I’d glued in California and sent in seabase’ container to Wavegliders.
    I’m on to me time now in London, went to the Tate museum earlier and am about to go across the street to the pub for a pint.
    Above photo Ribera Il’has firing, but it was side shore with heavy winds nearly every day this year

2. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I’ll pick your Brain a bit. Portugal is no my list thinking something like maybe 90 days.

3. Largoazul

Largoazul Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Maine
    It broke apart somewhat easily. Just finished the chambering and glued everything up except for the rails which I’ll do tomorrow. Here’s a pic of right before I broke it all apart. Since I’m working outside i didn’t make a template. I just drew my lines and eyeballed. No issues. The foam was a bit harder to do without a bandsaw. I’m thinking of glassing 4 + 4 to keep it light. Have any thoughts on that?

Attached Files:

Artz likes this.
  4. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    Makin’ Bacon. 092B4A50-41D4-4663-AE9E-7EDB122B0BA9.jpeg

ParSurf, miscreant, DJR and 3 others like this.
  5. mitch44

mitch44 Active Member

Sep 3, 2018
    California
    Ive been riding primarily hulls (liddle, kj, fineline) the last few years and getting so much satisfaction out of the intentionality/discipline needed to surf these. Lately I’ve been super inspired by the greenough edge concept as it involves the same sort of properties but aren’t limited to just clean point breaks like my hulls (although in my experience they still seem to prefer it...or maybe that’s just me) I finally took a stab at one after much hesitation and am very happy with the result- I’m super novice, this is only board #9 so please forgive the tears/fin placement re-do’s/ marks.

6’0”x 21” x 2 1/2” twin, heavy greenough/Ellis ericson inspo. Belly entry/single concave into double thru the fins/flat out the tail.

Attached Files:

dingdong, DanSan, BigBoard and 6 others like this.
  6. ParSurf

ParSurf Active Member

Nov 16, 2018
    Milwaukee Oregon
    9-10 but actually 9-8 pintail/blunt nose piggish, wide point only -8. Really wanna give it a go but may need some convincing...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  7. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Can’t wait to see the final product and a ride report

mitch44 likes this.
  8. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    On the Ecuadorean Balsa builds we go with 4/4 deck and it's a non issue. The compressive strength is so good compared to your quality 2.0 lb foam. Most of what I've offered is double 4 oz. S Glass with a planet friendly epoxy........ a "premium build". The boards are "keepers" that people remark how good they feel as our intent was to make them a daily riding weight, not just some wall hanger. Balsa historically was the norm in Ecuador, with many beginner's first ride on a balsa board before quality polyurethane foam finally made its way to South America.

I spend some time in Peru visiting Wayo Whilar in '79, and the "Clark Foam" supplier for S.A. was pretty shoddy. He had a world of good quality woods close at hand and all he offered back then was an archaic heavier foam density and plywood stringers that leaked resin from the bottom to the decks. Back then we were melting parafin wax to add to the lam resin to get a sanding coat. It was primitive to be sure. 1979. But my quiver of boards were "pre sold" at a premium price the day I got off the plane. Not a bad thing at all, especially considering I got a FREE plane ticket on AeroPeru as a "Surfer Magazine" correspondent doing an article on Surfing in Peru.

Largoazul and Surfnfish like this.
  9. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    I love the Tate

10. Largoazul

Largoazul Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Maine
    A165E0A4-12B2-4A8C-B552-5B24D1F7F76A.jpeg Just finished my gloss coat. redwood seems to be heavier than balsa. Being chambered it still feels like 40 pounds. I went 4oz deck 4 oz bottom to make it a rider. I used poly because I’m old school. I’m more concerned with making this a solid rider than a wall hanger.

dingpatch and shadydave like this.