Shaper thread (show us what you are shaping)

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
Recently (yesterday) finished my first board. Fully shaped and glassed it rife with all the great mistakes of learning :)

It was inspired off a v.Bowls that I rode: wide point back, convex through front two thirds to vee to flat in the last third.... kinda. Of course with an attempt at an s-deck. A lot of fun to shape, and still came out much better than expected!

Attachments

• IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1806.jpg
    IMG_1806.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1812.jpg
    IMG_1812.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1826.jpg
    IMG_1826.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1827.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1828.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1833.jpg
    IMG_1833.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1853.jpg
    IMG_1853.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 55

Curlz

Jun 26, 2020
VA, USA
Recently (yesterday) finished my first board. Fully shaped and glassed it rife with all the great mistakes of learning :)

It was inspired off a v.Bowls that I rode: wide point back, convex through front two thirds to vee to flat in the last third.... kinda. Of course with an attempt at an s-deck. A lot of fun to shape, and still came out much better than expected!
Dude sweet!! Nice first board turn out! Not easy starting out with that bottom shape but looks great

lito_outside

Oct 16, 2020
Petaluma, CA

Props for the bold choice on your first board. I worked off a thicklizzy for my first shape (big yellow board a couple pages back now). Incredible to really dive into a lovelace form — and the vbowls is even more complex.

Keep us updated with a ride report?

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
Props for the bold choice on your first board. I worked off a thicklizzy for my first shape (big yellow board a couple pages back now). Incredible to really dive into a lovelace form — and the vbowls is even more complex.

Just checked out your post -- great job, the board looks wicked good! Lovelace is certainly a shaper whose boards take a minute to analyze. I was lucky enough to have to wait a bit to get to shaping the board which allowed a lot of "oooohhhh" or "wait, tf?" moments to accrue over drives to and from the surf.

When the v.bowls is described as 3D, it is no joke. I am excited to have had attempted this design first as it seems to demand a certain perspective on foam placement and distribution. That said I am most definitely still learning.

Ride report is coming, I will make sure to update. However, part of my wait to shape it was due to having to drive from socal to VT (back home) and soon to CO for school... Going to get it out in the water before CO, maybe in RI. Anyone recommend some good east coast point breaks or hull oriented waves?

Curlz

Jun 26, 2020
VA, USA

What did you use for your nose and tail width on that clone?

went back and looked and really liked how the nose turned out. That’s where I really struggle - getting the right nose width for some reason.
Thanks!

lito_outside

Oct 16, 2020
Petaluma, CA
What did you use for your nose and tail width on that clone?

went back and looked and really liked how the nose turned out. That’s where I really struggle - getting the right nose width for some reason.
Thanks!
Thanks @Curlz I straight up traced my haley pin outline onto the blank. I was working off a 7’4 but shaping a 7’10, so I traced the front half, slid the board back six inches, and traced the back half. This lead to some imprecision in the middle of the board outline (I should have compensated by bumping the outline out a little, instead the rails got more parallel than I wanted). But it meant the nose and tail came out pretty darn clean. Someday I’d like to compare to an actual lizzy/pin in this length.

D26FA2B5-BD54-415B-B9D0-6634B5889B43.jpeg

lito_outside

Oct 16, 2020
Petaluma, CA
@lito_outside What are the biggest differences in feel from your copy and the OG?
My copy is corkier and looser. The pin really knifes through the water, especially when standing on the forward half. My clone feels more on top of the wave.

I think it’s a combo of
a) more volume (the copy is ~3/8” thicker because I didn’t understand how much width glassing would add)
b) soft, boxy rails in the middle (compared to the pin’s more pinched ones. this was a mistake from doing the bottom contours out of order)

both boards stills feel pretty intuitive and responsive for their size, though

stopchewingplease

May 1, 2021
SoCal
My copy is corkier and looser. The pin really knifes through the water, especially when standing on the forward half. My clone feels more on top of the wave.

I think it’s a combo of
a) more volume (the copy is ~3/8” thicker because I didn’t understand how much width glassing would add)
b) soft, boxy rails in the middle (compared to the pin’s more pinched ones. this was a mistake from doing the bottom contours out of order)

both boards stills feel pretty intuitive and responsive for their size, though
That makes a lot of sense. Do you think you will try to revise your shape just to see if you can get a better copy and sense for the shape?

lito_outside

Oct 16, 2020
Petaluma, CA
That makes a lot of sense. Do you think you will try to revise your shape just to see if you can get a better copy and sense for the shape?
you read my mind. if I get a chance to keep shaping (I've moved far from the ocean, not to mention a blank distributor) I would like to keep learning this shape. a way to hold many variables the same (length, outline, rocker) and really understand the effect my bottom contours and rails are having