Shaper thread (show us what you are shaping)

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Nice ones @WesCantDress! Looking impressive as usually. I always love the look of a reverse layup like on your mint biscuit too.
Thanks Rob. Happy with the way this one turned out for sure. I’ve had a few boards where the spray (or resin, depending) just didn’t go as I’d hoped - had to roll with the punches. Accepting it’s all part of the trip. But def nice when the shape and aesthetic come together.

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Foil looks beaut! Easy going rolled vee with no edge may have made it fluid and loose;) or subtle vee panel with hard edge that lets you push hard when you need to!!! Looks like a fun rider nonetheless!!!
Agreed. Although I didn’t want a rolled or panel vee in the tail on this one. Going on a little journey with spiral vee right now and experimenting with how far to push it. Think I’m nearing the limits - not objectively - but as far as my personal preferences go, I’ve figured out where I like it.

But man, to your point, I shaped an 8’4 double like you described, with vee panel out the back. Hard edge in the tail. Classic, no frills, just flat out works. Really inspiring. So much fun going down the rabbit hole. Looking to my favorite boards for insight and experimenting with little tweaks and adjustments. Picking up on ideas and advice from all the seasoned and more experienced jammers. Just so stoked on the whole sheeeebang.

Last edited:

sam

Nov 16, 2020
SF
Anyone have any tips on sealing redwood for glassing? I'm restoring an old 60's pig and I'm glueing up a redwood new stringer. I saw a video of Gene Cooper using redwood and he said you need to seal the wood before glassing or it blisters. I'm wondering what to use?

Curlz

Jun 26, 2020
VA, USA
Anyone have any tips on sealing redwood for glassing? I'm restoring an old 60's pig and I'm glueing up a redwood new stringer. I saw a video of Gene Cooper using redwood and he said you need to seal the wood before glassing or it blisters. I'm wondering what to use?
Hey brother. I’ve done a redwood SUP and didn’t have any issues with blistering. Perhaps matters based on your source of redwood?

I also did a cheater coat which is thinned epoxy to allow it to soak into the grain and seal off before the epoxy is applied. That’s the redwood nose and tail work without any blistering

good luck!

Attachments

• 7E9032E4-55C4-4975-98FE-1CDB88BC3073.jpeg
    7E9032E4-55C4-4975-98FE-1CDB88BC3073.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Curlz

Jun 26, 2020
VA, USA
Got these two back from glassing a week ago and they've got me pretty stoked. First is a 6'3 Stubby and a 7'6 Lynch inspired Pintail. Both boards have a hull entry to a gently rolled bottom to spiral vee out the tail. Was lucky enough see a mandala stubby that belonged to @Wavy Days - that beauty's planshape was definitely the inspiration here. I cut in the stubby's vee with a lighter touch and the board absolutely flies. That light roll doesn't slow the board at all. Just the definition of "get up and go". Total breath of fresh air. The 7'6 is less straight forward. Deeper vee makes it so easy to put on a rail, but not as loose as I was expecting - probably the pintail's influence through the turns. BUT... I like it. Rails are slightly pinched. It feels good, controlled, and responsive. Wifey took a few photos.

6'3 Mint Biscuit
View attachment 30435
View attachment 30436
View attachment 30438
View attachment 30439
View attachment 30437
View attachment 30440
Absolutely love this 6’3 and exactly what I’m starting to shape now except 6’10”. Was planning on a hull to spiral vee set up as a single.

stoked to hear it works so well. I’ll set you a PM with questions! That’s for the inspiration brother. Excellent work

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Right on @Curlz... would love to hear how it comes out! Hull to spiral vee was my choice as well. Really happy with it.

Personally, I'd consider adding side boxes even if you plan to ride as a single. I surfed mine as a single first (that's my preferred mode), but later found that I enjoy it more as a 2+1. For me the generous amount of planing area + wide nose/tail + shorter rail line create a board that wants more drive/definition in the rear. Happy to PM on it.

Edit: Really dig the look of that redwood work you posted. I'm hesitant to take up a wood project like that, but at the same time intrigued. Damn a 9ft balsa speed shape would be a special board!

Last edited:

Curlz

Jun 26, 2020
VA, USA
Right on @Curlz... would love to hear how it comes out! Hull to spiral vee was my choice as well. Really happy with it.

Personally, I'd consider adding side boxes even if you plan to ride as a single. I surfed mine as a single first (that's my preferred mode), but later found that I enjoy it more as a 2+1. For me the generous amount of planing area + wide nose/tail + shorter rail line create a board that wants more drive/definition in the rear. Happy to PM on it.

Edit: Really dig the look of that redwood work you posted. I'm hesitant to take up a wood project like that, but at the same time intrigued. Damn a 9ft balsa speed shape would be a special board!
This one was a hull to spiral vee and I absolutely love it. Goes effortlessly, catches everything and just performs.

what I was thinking on this 6’10 was to keep the hull entry through the first 3/4 before going flat out the back and put the double concave inside the hull - if that makes sense.... maybe more of a triplane effect inside the belly.

we’ll see and I’ll reach out when off the road! Thanks

Attachments

• 7780E9C3-FFE5-4F58-8ECC-6C6AABBEDCBE.jpeg
    7780E9C3-FFE5-4F58-8ECC-6C6AABBEDCBE.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 15A29030-89AD-4EE8-BDD2-C21360DB82D3.jpeg
    15A29030-89AD-4EE8-BDD2-C21360DB82D3.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 206717A2-CB52-4E43-8006-77F7E566B182.jpeg
    206717A2-CB52-4E43-8006-77F7E566B182.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 33