Shaper thread (show us what you are shaping)

JMJackFish

Jul 5, 2016
USA North Carolina
5'11 Fish - about 2/3 done
tempImage8IOGeU.png
tempImageLS8bMN.png

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
This "BFDE". (Double Ender) could have easily gone into the Speed Egg thread, but I've posted here instead.
Rails and bottom config is very much a Speed Egg style with hard rails in the tail and some moderate V-Bottom in the tail section.

She's 8'6"x23"x3-1/4". with a 1/8" Cedar Center Stringer & (2) 1/2" Balsa Wood 'outrigger stringers placed 6" out from Center. All done with Black Glue, which adds contrast and a bit of sex appeal esp. to the Balsa.

A note on the Balsa wood......... this stuff is the densest, most consistent Balsa I have EVER shaped! I emailed Marty @ Arctic Foam making sure it was indeed Balsa Wood. I told him it is absolutely beautiful stuff but the density and consistency shapes more like Alder, or perhaps, Hemlock or Poplar.

This board is set up as a Five Fin using Futures Boxes. I can easily see someone trying it with bigger Twin Fins up front with or without quads behind that. Even a Mini Keel in the back center box. It will ride gr8 as a more conventional Tri Fin too. View attachment 27634 View attachment 27635 View attachment 27636
Ace in San Diego has a center keel fin that he has been working on for a long time. He uses it in his Hully Gully Shapes. People seem to love that shape and fin.
That BFDE in a 4 plus one would be an excellent candidate for testing a wide range of fins and combinations of different fins..

Last edited:

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
Just got this one back from glassing. Was a beast to foil and refine as I went with the US Blanks 10'2 BX which comes with an extra 1/4 of thickness. Reason being, I wanted a specific thickness near the back 1/3 of the board that I felt could be more easily achieved with a thicker blank. I ended up dialing in the thickness I wanted under my back foot, but foiling down the volume everywhere else on a 10ft log is like drinking a hot coke. Live and learn. Rolling the bottom however was a joy. And surfing has been even better. It's like butter from the tail and that round-bottom-rolled-pivot feels so good. Accelerates from the front third and handles tip time like a 10'0 should. Chopped nose, light flow through concave, blending to flat, to rolled bottom from midpoint out the back door. It's 10'0 x 22 5/8 x 3 3/16. Glassing schedule is 6x6x6oz with a 1/2" dark wood stringer. Per usual, wifey snapped some photos...

210210 Wes Surfboard Shortstop Long Beach 173025.jpg

210210 Wes Surfboard Shortstop Long Beach 173440.jpg

210210 Wes Surfboard Shortstop Long Beach 173653.jpg

210210 Wes Surfboard Shortstop Long Beach 173316.jpg

210210 Wes Surfboard Shortstop Long Beach 174035.jpg

210210 Wes Surfboard Shortstop Long Beach 173740.jpg

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
That puppy is. a TOTAL WINNER....!

You are really making wise design choices on all you hav incorporated into this board. What you've shaped is a TRIED N TRUE formula for many of us who have shaped far more boards than you, and you are already doing it. Whether you decided to shape this one from studying other boards or just by instinct, it doesn't really matter.

What matters is you recognize valid design and are developing the chops to create what you envision.

It's ironic that there are guys "with names out there" that aren't even remotely as talented as what you are showing at this stage in your development as a shaper.

Did I mention this is a compliment?

;-)

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
10'0 x 22 5/8 x 3 3/16.
Those dims, glass, and wood are very close to my current board, though template, bottom, and foil are very different.
For something really different: I'm creating a bunch of these 'tubercles' to experiment with hydrodynamics. Using glass fiber reinforced bondo in a mold made from a plastic spoon. Probably try some different sizes in different formations, if it seems to be effective. Tubercles appear biologically on the snouts and leading edges of the pectoral flippers of humpback whales and are said to account for the otherwise unexplainable mobility and maneuverability of these huge sea mammals. There are versions/adaptations seen on airplane wings, some surfboard fins and some swim fins. I've got a board that won't behave and rather than discard it I'm gonna attach a bunch of these to the bottom somewhere in the front 24". Anybody out there tried the tubercle fins?

Attachments

• tempImagetrZGWM.png
    tempImagetrZGWM.png
    325.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Budthedog

Dec 22, 2020
California
Just got this one back from glassing. Was a beast to foil and refine as I went with the US Blanks 10'2 BX which comes with an extra 1/4 of thickness. Reason being, I wanted a specific thickness near the back 1/3 of the board that I felt could be more easily achieved with a thicker blank. I ended up dialing in the thickness I wanted under my back foot, but foiling down the volume everywhere else on a 10ft log is like drinking a hot coke. Live and learn. Rolling the bottom however was a joy. And surfing has been even better. It's like butter from the tail and that round-bottom-rolled-pivot feels so good. Accelerates from the front third and handles tip time like a 10'0 should. Chopped nose, light flow through concave, blending to flat, to rolled bottom from midpoint out the back door. It's 10'0 x 22 5/8 x 3 3/16. Glassing schedule is 6x6x6oz with a 1/2" dark wood stringer. Per usual, wifey snapped some photos...

View attachment 28087
View attachment 28089
View attachment 28088
View attachment 28091
View attachment 28092
View attachment 28090
Whoa looks sick!!

WesCantDress

Mar 5, 2020
Long Beach, CA
That puppy is. a TOTAL WINNER....!

You are really making wise design choices on all you hav incorporated into this board. What you've shaped is a TRIED N TRUE formula for many of us who have shaped far more boards than you, and you are already doing it. Whether you decided to shape this one from studying other boards or just by instinct, it doesn't really matter.

What matters is you recognize valid design and are developing the chops to create what you envision.

It's ironic that there are guys "with names out there" that aren't even remotely as talented as what you are showing at this stage in your development as a shaper.

Did I mention this is a compliment?

;-)

Very gracious of you to say @Bruce Fowler. Thank you, and I definitely picked up on the complimentary tone. Feels great. The stoked is high!

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego

View attachment 28087
View attachment 28089
View attachment 28088
View attachment 28091
View attachment 28092
View attachment 28090
What a beauty - hell yeah. stoked for you.

Jim Keating

Jul 16, 2020
earth
There are some great boards being pumped out. Loving it
I have been at it over these cold months in NJ
I do my own glassing as well
The unsung heroes are the sanders!!!! I hate sanding !!!!!

Attachments

• 1C4E1701-9F4D-427C-94D9-5C99CD94D8A0.jpeg
    1C4E1701-9F4D-427C-94D9-5C99CD94D8A0.jpeg
    90.8 KB · Views: 48
  • A1132984-BB14-40FC-B75A-AD3931C3779F.jpeg
    A1132984-BB14-40FC-B75A-AD3931C3779F.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 48
  • FA810101-5732-44D0-BC39-8A98CDCE9378.jpeg
    FA810101-5732-44D0-BC39-8A98CDCE9378.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 67337BCE-5152-43D8-AD77-4A177D6A1C59.jpeg
    67337BCE-5152-43D8-AD77-4A177D6A1C59.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 46

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
There are some great boards being pumped out. Loving it
I have been at it over these cold months in NJ
I do my own glassing as well
The unsung heroes are the sanders!!!! I hate sanding !!!!!
Sanding is akin to doing good prep work when painting. With the right ventilation, lighting & racks, it can be a comfortable, even fun experience! Everything
goes hand in hand. Clean tight laminations with smooth filed free or taped laps, well measured & mixed hot coats, precise routing and/or installation of fin boxes and leash cups.

If you have a good disc sander or even an efficient palm sander, a sanding block for truing by hand, the right particle mask so you aren't choking on dust....... you're good to go.
Lighting is important, and DIY'ers frequently use their shaping room set up as their sanding room. If you turn on the overhead light, you're likely to wash out the lighting you
need to do a good sand job. In the past I knew early day companies that kept overhead lights on so production shapers couldn't "see too much" causing them to slow down!

Embrace the craft, Enjoy the Ride
BF SHAPING SCENE.jpg