Shaper thread (show us what you are shaping)

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Macilious, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Backyard B

Backyard B Member

Mar 10, 2020
    Virginia Beach
    Okay, this is a little embarrassing to post, but I will. Here's my latest project(s): a very basic handplane, banana for scale.
    The shape, color, how it rides, etc. does not matter to me; I whipped it up in 20 minutes. The thing that does matter is this was my first vacuum bagging project, and it went fairly well. And now I'm hooked, I'm trying to vacuum bag everything. My 9 year old shaped his own without any input from me and so I bagged that (red and yellow).
    As you can see, there's much I need to figure out (like vac bagging and cutlaps), but I've been getting some 1 on 1 advice from a prominent vac bagger in Florida and he's setting me straight. Oh yeah, I also bagged a broken cutting board that my 6 year old wants to use as a handplane too.
    On a side note, much respect to SharkB8, taping off those small handplanes are tough!
    IMG_2578.jpg IMG_2595.jpg

Driftwood, Chilly Willy and HerbB like this.
  2. Jacob Guillen

Jacob Guillen New Member

Jul 22, 2020
    Orange County
    5’4” x 21” x 2-9/16”

Mini Simmons

Attached Files:

shapewright, WesCantDress and DJR like this.
  3. HerbB

HerbB Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    What blank did you carve it from?

4. Jacob Guillen

Jacob Guillen New Member

Jul 22, 2020
    Orange County
    Stock US Blanks 5-10 RP in red density with an 1/8” bass stringer

5. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    8’2” EPS piglet, bottom and rails more of a shorter board.
    9’5” Van Velzer 3-12/“ thick by 23-1/2”, client wants to go shorter so added thickness and width
    DDF4F4E4-1607-4658-A4B4-0E5F9AF97820.jpeg AB21D9CE-42AC-40EE-8C00-F55449A5FDBE.jpeg

6. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Here's a new one I'm working on for Geoff S. He has ten of my boards but figures I'll be dead soon, so he's stocking up.

This one is 6'10"x23"x3-1/8" 2lb Superfused EPS Foam. I had it glued up with four 1/8" Balsa stringers using Geoff's fave color of green. This Paralam Balsa setup will net a very strong but light board once it is glassed with high grade Epoxy resin and Double Stagger Lapped S2 Glass on both sides. Board should have a lively feel to it. GEOFF S. EPS BALSA PARALAM 2020.jpg BALSA PARALAM CLOSEUP.jpg GEOFF'S NEW BALSA PARALAM.jpg GEOFF'S NEW 620 BALSA PARALAM EPS.jpg Superfused EPS Blank half skinned.jpg SUPERFUSED BLANK CLOSEUP.jpg SUPERFUSED TAILBLOCK CLOSEUP.jpg Superfused EPS Cross Section.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 10:11 PM
    WesCantDress, DanSan and Driftwood like this.
  7. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
  8. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Balsa stringers with EPS are where it's at. Preached that combo for years, to people who didn't want to hear about it despite the advantages.

They look nice stacked and glued like that.

9. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Thanks.
    Adds the strength of a glue lam w/o excess weight. The Paralam along with Stagger Lapping double layers of cloth around the rails of the deck & bottom help create a better lock of the sandwich construction.

It's a gr8 way to get strength while saving weight for a performance vehicle.

Driftwood likes this.