Shaper thread (show us what you are shaping)

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Macilious, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    None of us like rules, but just few to keep it wholesome! You JBers are an awesome bunch of feckkers! Let's have some fun with this, see what our JBers are shaping and support their craft. If you see someone doing something you like - TELL THEM! BUY A BOARD or T shirt or whatever. We have a forum into the minds of some amazing craftsman here....

1) Be NICE! People are putting themselves out there and spending time and money to create things and submitting it for your enjoyment. RESPECT THAT!

2) Keep it to boards or whatever you created. If people want to show Handplanes or other surf craft... I'm cool with it.

3) Keep anything you are selling/salesy in the FOR SALE forum (out of respect for forum rules). I am happy to have anyone and everyone that shapes post things here! I think the mix of pros and avg Joes will be a lot of fun. But let's keep it fun and supportive.

So let's see it you talented bastards!

JBorbone, Driftwood and SeniorGrom like this.
  2. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    @rootdown lets see that bonzer again! Maybe some shots of the tail concaves?

Something important to keep in mind with bonzer (or honestly any board for that matter) fin placement... it's not a standard rule/metric across all boards of the same design. Tail width, amount of rocker, amount of V, and style of riding you want to evoke all reallllllllly really matter.

Many times, those "vets" on Sways will tell you it's black and white.. but from a scientific perspective it's not. Like adding/moving/removing a dorsal wing to an airplane.

"call me crazy" but recently I've been doing 0 degrees of toe on my bonzers, and only 18 degrees of cant. more drive, and for east coast hollow waves that you'd want to ride a bonzer in, isn't that all you really care about? I'm not selling bonzers to Alex Knost to do vertical turns on in perfect Mexican pointbreaks, I'm selling to weekend warriors on the east coast..

try to post a picture with it under your shadow-boxes so that we can see how far off the rails your channels start/end.

Pointbreak likes this.
  3. rootdown

rootdown Active Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    OK moving it over here. I am a true backyard guy, with absolutely no interest in making this my profession. I just love surfboards. Ive made around 40 boards, and ive been honing in my midlength designs. Branching out from my normal single fin designs my latest projects are a 7'2 round tail quad speed egg and a 7'1 bonzer 3 diamond tail IMG_1145.jpg IMG_1164.jpg IMG_1160.jpg

Bonzourno, DanSan, Surfnfish and 2 others like this.
  4. JBorbone

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    honestly that looks pretty spot on.. the length of the fins makes the angle look dramatic but i think it's great assuming your single concace exits into the entry of the runners and the deep spiral V begins at the leading edge of the center fin, then it'll work great!

DanSan and rootdown like this.
  5. rootdown

rootdown Active Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    thanks for the input. you dont find it too stiff with all that fin base going strait ahead? I dont normally ride hollow beach breaks and tend to surf our reefs that require multiple cutbacks to stay in the pocket. and i love the way the bonzer feels on a cutback. but Id like this to work on an average Rhode Island day.
    its almost 3 inches thick and dont plan on going super thin on the rails. I am keeping the tail rocker fairly low, about 2 1/4 at the stringer and the concaves arent that deep, probably under a 1/4" by the fins, and plenty of V off the tail. I'll take a photo later.

DanSan likes this.
  6. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    STINGER MATH.jpg FUTURES MACHADO PIVOT 7.5".jpg STINGER TAIL VIEW 1.jpg STINGER NOSE VIEW.jpg

Okay, so that being said, NOTHING BEING POSTED HERE IS SUGGESTING YOU BUY IT. Don't even read this if you are gonna have a stick up your..........

I'm considered a "pro" but I do shape in my garage at home. Yes I have had shops, but those days are gone & I'm happy to sub out the work to people I trust. FWIW, I can build a board start to finish with the best of them. 50+ years sorta does that for ya.

I appreciate the guys that have shaped 3, 30, 300 or 3,000 boards. They are keeping the craft alive. That's note easy these days, and there aren't that many of us left in the 30K+ club. In my book, Stoke is Stoke, no matter how many you've shaped. I support others shapers............ the newbies present fresh perspectives and I find some of the old guys are more likely to stab you in the back. :-(

Okay............ so with all those disclaimers, hopefully I won't get reamed for posting what I'm currently working on. I think it's out of the norm and really fun to be exploring.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to advance the art of designing surfboards? Have excellent riders that can chase swells across the globe testing the new stuff you put under their gifted feet. Case in point, we are powering out 2 new sleds for Brand Ambassador, Derek Thomas so he can hop a plane Sunday to meet up with a 6-10 ft. swell in Oaxaca. He will test a 6'10" Stinger, a 6'6" New Machine & he's bringing along his twinny for good measure. THE STINGER is the one I'm keen on collecting DATA. I just spoke to Cole @ Futures & he's getting me this group of fins by tomorrow to test on Da Sting. How often does a designer get a chance to collect this much info on a design down at his local beach??? LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUT OF THE WAY! [​IMG]:-O
    DEREK STINGER 2.jpg DEREK STINGER 3.jpg FUTURES TILLER 8.0.jpg FUTURES HATCHET 2+1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Bonzourno, Surfnfish and JBorbone like this.
  7. JBorbone

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    Wow that incut looks to be super far off the tail! Very AIPA, very cool.

Any reason you seem to prefer Futures or do you just have a good relationship with them? I find their "fit" in the box to be a bit inconsistent.

Also, those almost look like machine grooves on your blank, but the outline isn't cut yet. Are you using the machine to just "profile" the raw blank to work rocker and concave in, then cut the outline by hand afterwards? I remember seeing those profiling machine in old videos of Greg Noll shaping boards in the 60s and this image made me think of that.

DanSan likes this.
  8. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    The blank is milled from a file I have of a different model. Actually I've used that same file as a base to make 12-15 different shapes. This blank had the volume allowing me to do the stinger planshape and enough foam to handshape the needed deck & bottom rocker into this particular board. We're in a 'hurry up offense' to make the board & get it to Mex to be tested in this swell hitting Monday.

Futures has been pretty reliable for me. Some grub screw stripping here n there, but nothing outrageous. Their extracting tool is handy to have & I think it costs about $10. I use FCS Fusion as an alternative, and they are reliable, lightweight & easy to install. I haven't used their X2 plugs in close to ten years - flawed design in my book.

Stingers historically have the wing aka sting far up the board in more of the board's body. You will find (that) the further you place a wing forward in a surfboard's outline, the shorter radius it can turn. Wings/Stings serve as a Pivot Point wherever they break/interrupt the Planshape/Outline.

This particular board has a Vee in the Nose followed with light single concave feeding into a double bareel concave. The deepest part of the Vee is placed forward closer to the Sting cuts then lessens in depth of Vee to a flat bottom at the tailblock.

Photos to come........ let's pray the swell materializes the way it has been forecasted!

Footnote: Stingers were historically single fin boards. I have an extra long 15" fin box going into this one 7" up from the tail, allowing the center fins to be pushed well forward. The front of the box is 22" up. It has a 4+1 set up, so we can explore a variety of fin configurations.

DanSan likes this.
  9. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    This is one I did a few years ago for Aviator Nation.
    The new one will be 4+1 w/long box and has a more intense bottom. IMG_4820.jpg IMG_4821.jpg

DanSan, hankster and Surfnfish like this.
  10. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    one of my poker cronies is from the Napoleon family on Kaui, every time I visit him, gotta stop and admire his old Aipa stinger...

franks.jpg

DJR, DanSan and hankster like this.