Shaper Recommendations

nitsuj

Oct 3, 2005
Not sure how often he shapes but could be worth pinging Rob Brown, he's always at SanO. Saw you listed Portland as part of your home area, Rob used to run a shop up in Westport way back when

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Yeah man, no prob. I got this 7'10" from him. All I told him was I wanted a board for Summer at Trails. He proposed either his Drifter (Fish Simmons) or this - his Gypsy. Which is one of his Glider templates. He hacked three feet off it, gave it a some rocker and the thing just goes exactly as I'd hoped - better than I'd hoped, to be honest. Good luck!
Makes sense........ looking @ that concave & tail, I bet she's wicked fast.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Hey everybody,
I am located in Orange County and I mainly ride Sano and Doho. I am looking to find some local shapers, any recommendations would be appreciated! I'm still trying to find what I'm looking for, currently deciding between a long fish or another glider for my quiver.
Thanks!
Not sure
Hey everybody,
I am located in Orange County and I mainly ride Sano and Doho. I am looking to find some local shapers, any recommendations would be appreciated! I'm still trying to find what I'm looking for, currently deciding between a long fish or another glider for my quiver.
Thanks!
Gary Hanel in Encinitas . His prices are very reasonable. His shaping id top notch. And all his Boards are glassed by Moonlight glassing. Can’t get better then that.

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
Curious why this makes more sense than to go through a surfboard factory direct like Hobie who does all this for you at top quality. Would this cost less or speed up the process or both?
Because, with the large production you can be lost in the shuffle, it doesn’t mean it happens all the time, but I just entirely built a Hobie Auntie Mo that was ordered in February for a September had to have date.
2 weeks before the delivery date Hobie sent me the logos, of course I couldn’t hit
D03E6414-4638-4E07-9B28-9C02722EE5E6.jpeg
the delivery date on a color lam EPS, but was only a few days off

NateB

Jul 28, 2020
Laguna beach
Because, with the large production you can be lost in the shuffle, it doesn’t mean it happens all the time, but I just entirely built a Hobie Auntie Mo that was ordered in February for a September had to have date.
2 weeks before the delivery date Hobie sent me the logos, of course I couldn’t hit View attachment 35888 the delivery date on a color lam EPS, but was only a few days off
understood, i see how things could get messy. On the otherhand i didn't know you were shaping/glassing for hobie. Incredible work Jim

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
Sometimes, someone will ask a question here and the question will get answered correctly. Blank in hand is a strong opening flex.

Reactions: DJR

Camco

Jun 17, 2021
Apple valley ca
BOSS Surfboards
He’s been shaping and surfing sanO/doho for 30+Yrs great boards I’m super stoked to be getting a 9’ done right now

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
understood, i see how things could get messy. On the otherhand i didn't know you were shaping/glassing for hobie. Incredible work Jim
The possibility is that an “EPS” foam custom order kept getting this one pushed to the back of the line. Who knows?

Syncro

Nov 1, 2021
Ocean Beach
If you're looking for something a bit more "Alternative" the two photos with the purple is from a guy out of Luecadia just north of Del Mar. I've road several of his boards and they a mix between a bonzer and the channeled twin eggs. He used Indigo Glass Co. out of Imperial Beach. His name is Logan Antill who owns Eternal Life Surfboards. This purple one is my personal 8'0x22x2.75 with a T-band stringer polished. He also makes long fish and a bunch of other drastically different stuff. If you're the sorts for Instagram hes @eternal.life
image1 (1).jpeg
image2.jpeg

Below is my 12' Glider from TheBoardSource, shaped by Zen Surfboards out of Cardiff, the quality is insane and board is beautiful... PITA to live with though haha.
image0 (1).jpeg

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
If you're looking for something a bit more "Alternative" the two photos with the purple is from a guy out of Luecadia just north of Del Mar. I've road several of his boards and they a mix between a bonzer and the channeled twin eggs. He used Indigo Glass Co. out of Imperial Beach. His name is Logan Antill who owns Eternal Life Surfboards. This purple one is my personal 8'0x22x2.75 with a T-band stringer polished. He also makes long fish and a bunch of other drastically different stuff. If you're the sorts for Instagram hes @eternal.life View attachment 36111 View attachment 36112
Below is my 12' Glider from TheBoardSource, shaped by Zen Surfboards out of Cardiff, the quality is insane and board is beautiful... PITA to live with though haha.
View attachment 36113
Cal of Zen rocks, genuine man, he knows how to shape, I get shop orders that I know he will be able to hit it right on the head.
I don’t say that about just any “shaper”