Shaper Mason Dyer

Big D

Nov 4, 2009
slosurf wrote:
Iconsofsurf wrote:
I would be curious to understand his view on Captain Fin products being made in China since in the interview he specifically calls out his personal brands being made in the USA.

I believe Captain Fin now does some hand-foiled shortboard fins locally but that probably accounts for 5% of their total product line considering its current state.

As a marketing professional myself I must think his "Marketing/Brand Manager" title for Captain Fin is simply a loose one. Legitimate marketing is a creative skill set which challenges both the left and right side of the brain and indeed puts you square in a seat "looking at spreadsheets". Strategic planning, market analysis, brand management, competitor analysis, ROI review, split testing, copy writing/editing ect. ect. all actively keep you at a desk so I'd be curious to know what his actual role is at Captain Fin. Sales? Investor? Guerrilla promotions/marketing?

Also, is there any issue with him actively working on and promoting his own brands while working for Captain Fin. Or maybe the financing/investing for all of them is intermingled?

Big D
Is any of that apparel sold at Icons made overseas?
If Icons is currently carrying captain fin then the answer would be yes. I simply do all the ding repair that goes through the shop so I'm not part of the day-to-day operations anymore.

Big D

G

Just to let you know Captain Fin had their fins manufactured here in the USA up until a few months ago.

I know the guy who owns the company that made them and he said Captain's margins were too low for them continue to keep making them here in Cali.

Big D

Nov 4, 2009
Actually that's not the case X-Stepper. They may have been doing short production runs here to meet exceeding demand but the main production's coming from overseas. PM if you'd like.

And to clarify, I'm not chastising them for producing them overseas (although many may find issue wth this). My original comment was simply out of curiosity as it seemed that in the article he made sure to profess that his brands are 100% USA and that it was important to him.

Big D

G

It's not easy to find a made in the USA fin. Larry Allison in San Pedro is the only mass manufacturing guy I know that does it all here. Chuck Ames does short runs of specialty types but everything else comes from over seas.

Big D

Nov 4, 2009
Does Rainbow makes there fins in the US? I was under the impression they did up north.

Big D