Shaper Mason Dyer

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Salty, Aug 6, 2012.

1. tentoesed

tentoesed New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    gnar gnar wrote:
    Well, no, not if, as some have inferred here in this thread, that the shaper has no leg to stand on. (due to the lack of the 20 yrs....or is it 30 now?) It would then follow there would be no foot to place the "doc martins" on.

2. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    Iconsofsurf wrote:
    Is any of that apparel sold at Icons made overseas?

3. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    I personally saw the article and thought that it was pretty cool. Now while i am not into the whole hipster, fashion thing I do think its nice to see a guy my age getting his start. Unfortunately everyone has to start somewhere and lets face it this industry is full of whining people that are never satisfied, making it even harder for someone to really get going. To me the whole 20 year rule doesn't really hold bc for 20 years a guy could be making crap. Just because he has been doing it for so long doesn't mean he understands. What I look for in a shaper is someone that can really surf and understand the board. Andreini talks about that in his interview in the latest surfers journal, if a shaper can't really surf well, how can they truly understand what their boards are doing?

Any who i do see where the contradiction comes from in the interview. When people look at Mason they see an extreme, which unfortunately people don't like too much. On top of that he is promoting himself/brand in a way that comes off as being a little to high and mighty at times. But honestly who really cares, if a dude wants to promote himself, start a business, and make a run at it well then good for him. It takes a lot of balls to put yourself out their like that and take a chance. If he fails, well at least he can say he tried, which is always honorable in my book.

4. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    I agree. Well put.

5. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/3176098960.html

6. Guest

Guest Guest

It's the 30 year rule. And I said long before this thread, it's my rule & my opinion. How hard is that for you guys to understand? What that standard constitutes is experience, not only in the shaping bay but in the water (although some of the most competent "duplicators" ever could never surf) and around surfers, long time builders and the tools and materials of the craft. It most times includes production shaping that separates the men from the boys and teaches you how to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear (sh1tty blanks) time after time, year after year. That's not like the photo of this guy standing there with his eclectic, alternative quiver. Nor, IMO, is it about art & designer denim. It's about shaping surfboards. And unfortunately that fact gets away from people on the internet, where desire is fueled by pretty pictures of glossy marketing.
    Now I'm sure that many of you could care less about how I feel about subjects relating to surfing but you've heard your main guy Jim Phillips say the same thing. Just remember that. And that it's still just a forum.

7. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Two words stuck out in that interview - "Brittany Spears":shock:

8. Silk123

Silk123 Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    Damn, its just a forum. It's just my opinion. Deep breaths. :)

9. dogleg

dogleg New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Well put, Vet.