Sex Wax

Qustom

Jun 18, 2013
USA California
Full disclosure: I built the website and manufactured the wax molds for Horny Toads Surf Wax. I was also part of R&D as a test rider for the wax as it was being developed. I rated the first bar I ever tried a 2 on a 1-10 scale, but they have come a long way since then. It has now replaced Sex Wax as my go-to wax, and not just because I have a personal interest in the product - it works and it works very well.

In my mind any discussion of wax is incomplete without taking into account the type of surfing it’s being used for. If you are you cross stepping on a longboard you will probably* want a different wax than you would for boosting aerials on a short board. I read through seven pages of comments on this thread and didn’t see any mention of this, which I find interesting.

* Hanging at the beach with my friend Herb this summer and he offers up his abosultely killer Wayne Rich noserider for me to try out. I grab the board and his wax almost ripped all the hair off my arm. More hair is lost knee paddling out in board shorts and straddling the board between sets. It was like freshly applied spray glue or even flypaper. I lasted about 15 minutes. Yuck!

I would say in general though most longboarders prefer hard pebble grain bumps, while shortboarders rely more on the tackiness of the surface than the texture. Then again Herb proves that personal preference rules the day in the end.

Oh yeah, and then there's Pete Peterson...

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
It's super easy to get nice little bumps with most common wax brands - just don't press hard and be patient. I haven't used base coat for 30 odd years either... I do strip boards down regularly though, particularly if the seasons are changing.

Was it Sam George, when asked what he thought he thought the best way to wax a new board should be, replied;

'...sat on the sofa, watching your favourite surf movie'

I like waxing up boards, it's a nice little ritual.

Qustom

Jun 18, 2013
USA California
It's super easy to get nice little bumps with most common wax brands - just don't press hard and be patient. I haven't used base coat for 30 odd years either... I do strip boards down regularly though, particularly if the seasons are changing.

Was it Sam George, when asked what he thought he thought the best way to wax a new board should be, replied;

'...sat on the sofa, watching your favourite surf movie'

I like waxing up boards, it's a nice little ritual.
Yeah that sounds way more relaxing than frantically waxing up while frothing at a bitchin swell that could blow out any second!

Reactions: XXX

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
I only use sex wax

I thinks it works great if you build layers with correct temp range and I have grown fond of the smell.

miscreant

May 20, 2016
I only use sex wax

I thinks it works great if you build layers with correct temp range and I have grown fond of the smell.
I got bad news for you:

according to Naiu you are "the kind of person who doesn't give a rip." and you litter.

also, his stance on this is legitimate (according to him).

SDBoardHoarder

Sep 28, 2018
San Diego
I got bad news for you:

according to Naiu you are "the kind of person who doesn't give a rip." and you litter.

sex-wax-cool-mid-green.jpg

Adamclimbs

May 26, 2017
Santa Cruz
I got bad news for you:

It's actually the surf shop where you the buy the wax that decides whether it comes in paper or plastic. I only support the shops with the paper box as seen above^^^^

lashSD

Apr 24, 2021
San Diego
In my mind any discussion of wax is incomplete without taking into account the type of surfing it’s being used for. If you are you cross stepping on a longboard you will probably* want a different wax than you would for boosting aerials on a short board. I read through seven pages of comments on this thread and didn’t see any mention of this, which I find interesting.
Legit observation. The very same properties that would dissuade me from using Matunas again (urinal cake aroma notwithstanding) are what would likely interest a HP short boarder. I'm generally moving my feet around which leads to stomped and smeared top coat if too tacky.