Seniors - HS or College

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by FalseDawn, Mar 31, 2020.

1. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

Let me preface this post by saying there are obviously more significant losses being suffered by many of us and our neighbors so this is in no way meant to compare or equate.

But one additional bummer in our house is that our oldest child (son) is a senior in HS right now. The beginning of the senior year was stressful enough with the college search, application and admission process. Really feel for him and all these kids now missing out on their senior experience, spring sports and possibly a graduation ceremony and celebrations.

In his case, he's made friends from all over the country and world over 4years that he may never see again for a number of years, if at all. He's really pissed that he most likely won't have any of his final HS baseball season. A 3yr starter, he was Captain junior year and was looking forward to leading again this year.

We'll see what the future holds and hopefully they can make something of it yet.

Any others here have a senior in HS or college that's bummed out too?

2. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    If my kid would not take a research year after 3rd year of medical school... I would be sitting next to a computer all day today watching his graduation from UMass Medical School.

Artz and deemce like this.
  3. Justino

Justino Member

Nov 15, 2016
    I have 4 kids...My oldest is a senior. Super bummed about prom, grad night, graduation, etc. So far we are off until May, but who knows. No college tours, he might have to pick a school without actually seeing it. Could be much worse obviously. Everyone healthy so far.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    My daughter is a senior this year, so I know exactly what you're talking about.

While I'm just happy that everyone in my family is healthy, and she's super aware of the larger scale of things, it's still so sad when I see that she's really bummed about all those issues that seem so - no, are, so important to you when you're 17.

Fortunately, she's a great communicator which helps. But yeah, volleyball season, her new boyfriend, senior year friends... and wrapping up college admissions seemed surreal.

Take care of your kids and enjoy them.

5. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I most certainly feel some pain for these kids and the fact that these events mean so much to them. On the positive side of things these kids will remember their senior year forever something that is a long lost memory for me.

Dawnpatrol and FalseDawn like this.
  6. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

Good luck to him that's awesome. And congrats to you!
    My son is interested in Neuroscience as undergrad. At this point in his life he speaks of wanting to be Child Psychiatrist.

WhiteRussian likes this.
  7. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

No college tours or re-visits is tough. Hopefully your son doesn't have to make that decision without stepping on the campus first. Virtual tours these days are pretty cool though. Shit, when I wanted to learn about colleges in the late 80's, all we had was that book that looked like the Sears catalogue in the school library to flip through.

We did a number of tours and/or camps his junior year to schools at the top of his list academically and athletically, but a few schools further away he applied to without making a trip there first.

The silver lining in all the craziness is luckily, he has great options and was admitted to his first choice (as long as we can negotiate it a bit to work financially :eek:). And, the stress is off and he's seeing 4yrs of hard work and dedication pay some dividends he hoped it would.

Best of luck to your son.

deemce, Driftwood and Justino like this.
  8. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

Exactly. This whole crisis puts so many things in perspective and health is certainly at the top of the list.
    She sounds like she has a great head on her shoulders. Good luck to her in the coming year.

Driftwood likes this.
  9. Justino

Justino Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Thanks, he's leaning towards UC Santa Cruz. I've been up there, but he hasn't.

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Thanks you guys, this is exactly what we're dealing with.

Camus visits and applications in general have changed so much in the US! I remember the college catalogues in the late 80's and to some extent, while the catalogues have been replaced by basic websites, that's the way it still is in France.

UC Santa Cruz was my school of choice back in '91! Was so stoked on the plan and had it in place for two years, and then I met a girl who was headed to UCSD so... UCSD it was. Had the benefit of shooting down to Blacks between courses, though I did get chewed out (legitimately, I might add) for showing up late to a Lit class with my longboard in tow after a particularly fun and extended session. No regrets on the choice of schools, or of girls since we're still together.