Seeking info on my Jacobs 422

5finFever

Apr 11, 2020
Ocean City, NJ
It's a Calvani, I was the original owner. Jamie K and I both ordered 422s at the same time, maybe 10-12 years ago? I sold it to a kid who did ding repair with Jamie, who sold it to Mike from Surf Cafe.

The dot was originally yellow, the kid who bought it didn't like the color and changed it. Fun board, one of those I wish I never sold.

Pete
Thanks for the info! I had a hunch it was a Calvini, but I reached out to him and never heard back. It’s an amazing board stoked you guys ordered them.

Basenji703

Apr 2, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
I loved mine. It is now in the archives along with the 211 I had shaped about a year after I got the 9'8". Both are customs shaped by Hap in the '90s. I rode my 422 as my primary board for a number of years. Put it in the archives and about 8 years later I pulled it back out and started riding it again. After a while, as the deck was getting beaten up, I put it back in the archives. You have me thinking I should pull it out again, just for fun.

njrider

Jan 18, 2006
USA New Jersey
From talking to Hap, he told me that the name came from his shop's location at 422 PCH like Vetrano said. He said that the guy from Surfer Magazine was coming up the walkway to the shop to get their ad for the board. They hadn't figured out a name yet. He and Henry Ford were in the shop and Henry looked out the window at the shop's sign and said let's call it the 422.

njrider

Jan 18, 2006
USA New Jersey
Hap also mentioned that he and Dale were working on a board called the Bump. They shelved the idea because it wasn't really working out. Hap came back to it 7 or 8 years later. My guess is that Matt Calvani shaped it. When Matt 1st started shaping the Jacobs, he wasn't signing them. Every Hap shaped Jacobs I received through the shop had Hap's signature on it. Jose has only been doing them for the last couple of years.
Hope this helps.

5finFever

Apr 11, 2020
Ocean City, NJ
Hap also mentioned that he and Dale were working on a board called the Bump. They shelved the idea because it wasn't really working out. Hap came back to it 7 or 8 years later. My guess is that Matt Calvani shaped it. When Matt 1st started shaping the Jacobs, he wasn't signing them. Every Hap shaped Jacobs I received through the shop had Hap's signature on it. Jose has only been doing them for the last couple of years.
Hope this helps.
Yes that all makes a ton of sense. Thank you, I’m stoked to know where this amazing stick came from.

Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
The Bump & The Banjo; forgotten Velzy brain melts. Hap was one of the nicest, most honest of the builders that reached the level of production that Jacobs Surfboards did during the '60s. RIP.