Secret Spots

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Hahah, too funny. I'm pretty sure I did this once (definitely not recently). It is quite emasculating to bob around waiting for that one magical one to come through before admitting to yourself that things ain't what they used to be.

2. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Nothing secret around here where I surf. Can see most of the breaks driving along ocean ave. The secrets usually show up in the winter when sand shifts around and certain breaks work better than others. Always nice to find that one gem of a spot that is working better than usual.

zippy likes this.
  3. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Mystic CT. they dont call it Mystic for nuthin

4. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I think I know the spot you are talking about. Nice peak that backs off slightly But don’t even think about a cutback or a stall? That inside section comes up fast? If that souses right I won’t say anything more.

5. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    This thread ....

6. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Exactly.

Dude...now no longer a secret. I'm the Most technologically unskilled person you'll ever run across- proof in the unused features on my flip phone that I can't figure out- but there is absolutely Nothing easier than being an internet detective and figuring out where spots are from even seemingly harmless clues like the description above or "landmark free" photos.

The only way to keep it a Secret, a REAL SECRET, is to surf it and not talk about it. Deflect, lie, do what you have to, but the easiest is to just keep Quiet. You're not being a dick, you're protecting a treasure for a little bit. Sure it will eventually get discovered and surfed, but why help along the process in ANY way?
    Look at the story of Bill Heick who pioneered Desert Point in Indonesia. How long was he able to keep THAT a secret?
    A decade.

I apologize if I seem heated but the Like and Share mentality that is so pervasive in todays society due to social medias not so subtle influence on peoples thought patterns is absolutely Lost on me.
    It now only takes one, One person, with this mentality to gasoline wildfire destroy a good spot, especially a pointbreak, within a couple/few swells.
    And it's the same people that time and again when confronted hide behind the lame ass excuse- "C'mon man, there are no secrets anymore thanks to the internet."
    I've never paddled out and split a peak with an Iphone or a Macbook, or seen a Dell pull up one week by himself and then show up the next swell with 4 other PC's.
    It's the people ON them that do it.

Secret Spot. <--- It's right in the Name!

Rant almost over...If you're lucky enough to stumble across something epic and empty, go surf it and revel in the thrill. I did it in Nova Scotia quite a few times and Man...there is No other feeling like it. To this Day, I've never uttered a word about these places. I never pointed a device and snapped a photo, Nothing except a little dot on a map tucked away in a van.
    Why?
    Because I want that thrill to live on not only for when I go back, but also for the next guy or gal that put's in the cartography and swellmap work, or just stumbles down the wrong path one day.
    And most importantly-
    They're almost definitely someone else's Secret too.

7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I would agree completely with this. This is exactly what Big Mouth Matty has said to convince my other buddy that he didn't blow up my spot. "Ah, dude. This spot is no secret. There's no way that me telling someone would have led to this many guys."

Who cares if you snap a photo though? I like to keep photos of my good days to pull up as a destresser at work when I need to take a quick mental vacation. If it makes you happy, do it. If it doesn't, then just don't. If you do though, you just have to be smart enough to clear your GPS data embedded within the picture. I'd argue that the map with dots pinpointed on it would be way more of a giveaway... ;)

8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    exactly...on a solo cruise up the north coast in the early 70s, inadvertently ran across a right hander in a cove that at it's best is very much like a cold water Sunset...spent a week surfing it, never saw another surfer... when I returned home didn't tell even my best surf buddy's about it...made periodic trips up there when the conditions were right and I had the time...scored it alone for the first couple years, then a couple guys showed up, then a couple more, soon a small group of surfer had moved into the area as word got out, most of them feral weed growers with attitudes...by the early 90's what had made it special was over, and it had become just another crowded quality wave.

All lineups will get discovered sooner or later, unless their way off the path..and those should be held sacred for as long as possible...

Chilly Willy likes this.
  9. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    jdogger and Chilly Willy like this.
  10. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    I'm not knocking the photo snap, and did laugh at the map pin- point taken- but I'm talking a black sharpie baby dot, now, I should have clarified that when I showed up to many spots in Nova Scotia first light, at the right time and tide, as well as swell/wind direction, Alone, and never breaking out any kind of device, I made friends pretty quickly.
    Etiquette and a Mach7 Pavel bonzer helped things along too.
    I honestly do wish I had a pic of one or two of those days...but do have a good one of a Spa day - one of many- I would take at a killer Mom and Pop owned campsite there.
    Most fulfilling in every facet of Life, stoke filled Adventure of my earthly journey.
    I went up there with no knowledge of any spots, just my map and forecasting knowledge, and everything I own in that Van.
    If you live and surf on the East Coast, you owe it to yourself to hit Nova Scotia.

Nova Scotia spa day.jpg

DJR, sightpoint and Surfnfish like this.