Seattle surf?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by barker, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Yep! Probably the best reason not to live between Everett and Tacoma. The I-5 corridor is a F'ing nightmare. I refuse to do the drive to Seattle anymore unless I have to catch a plane out of SeaTac.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    @barker Disclaimer: I have never been. BUT after going on a little surf seeking mission via Google Maps, it looks like it could be a novelty wave dream come true. I would definitely hold onto some long ripple riders and go on the novelty hunt. Think outside the box. How about this one -- get the right swell pumping in and this spot could be one to write home about. It looks pretty darn close to Skeleton Bay for a novelty.

Seatt-leton Bay:
    Seattle3.jpg
    For comparison, Skeleton Bay:
    SkeletonBay.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    miscreant and cheyneskeezer like this.
  4. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    I've been sending boards to guys in Port Townsend & Port Angeles for a quarter century. There are spots, and they clean up when wrapping in around the peninsula and such. Seek and ye shall find, just be sure you have a damn good wetsuit.
    Port Angeles
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not my quote: the copy below is from a link discussing PNW

What started as a chill, just-for-friends operation in 1977 by two snowboarders is now Mervin Manufacturing, crafting boards (of the snow, surf, and skate variety) out of an uberenvironmental building run on biodiesel. The board maker—the only major one left in the U.S.—constructs LibTech, Roxy, and Gnu products, but has no storefront; riders can shop at nearby North By Northwest Surf Company in Port Angeles. NXNW is a surf hangout and hub, but don’t expect easy admission into secret North Coast spots; like any surf scene, it takes years to fully break in, but shop staff can rent equipment and advise on beginner breaks. nxnwsurf.com

[​IMG]
    IMAGE: CAMERON KARSTEN

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Add Never Summer to the list, who have been hand building premium snowboards in their Colorado shop non-stop since 1983, currently putting out 30,000 boards a year...spent 25 years riding big mountains throughout the PNW and Canada on Burton, Gnu, Sims, few others....none handled the steep and deep with more power and control than their NS Premier model, currently called the West Bound...great company, great warranty, amazing boards...

6. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    This ^

10 years ago I did a lot of Hydroplane racing in that area and can attest to the traffic congestion then. Seemed like it was worse than the SF bay area at the time. Can't imagine what it's like now.
    On the bright side, it is an amazingly beautiful area between the dark and grey.... and the rain.

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  7. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    On the, uh, "bright side" PNW is beautiful & abundant nature and Seattle is a vibrant city with lots of interesting areas surrounding it. People are sturdy, to say the least, rabid fans of their teams, and there are a lot of creative individuals with successful business startups as well as the long history of bands that have made their mark.

Climate is always a chief factor in where people choose to live. The PNW is no different. Here's a little insight on that consideration:

Is Seattle in a rain shadow?

Seattle, Port Angeles, & some other areas enjoy substantially less snow & rain than the national average. Of course, one should take that with a grain of salt when comparing the aforementioned areas to somewhere like drought stricken Southern California.

Still, there are pockets in the PNW created by topographical features that might be considered favorable versus coastal areas that face the onslaught of annual rain and cold.

A banana belt is any segment of a larger geographic region that enjoys warmer weather conditions than the region as a whole, especially in the wintertime. The term "banana belt" is broad enough that it can be used to describe everything from the entire Antarctic Peninsula, to the southern part of American midwest states,[1] to microclimate areas of mountain ranges.[2]

Banana belts of the latter type may form on the lee sides of mountain slopes caused by orographic lift. When air rises over the top of a mountain range, it cools and releases moisture on the windward slope. As the air is pulled down the other side, it is compressed and heated via adiabatic heating, and it warms and dries territory in the mountain's rain shadow.

Dawnpatrol likes this.