Seattle surf?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by barker, Jan 31, 2019.

1. barker

barker New Member

Apr 17, 2018
    brooklyn
    Not getting the replies I was hoping for..

2. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
  3. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    ^ This statement seems like you have something to work with.

Perhaps you counter her with a statement like “Well, sweetheart, I’d like to move to New Zealand” .

She points out all the reasons that can’t work, you counter with all the reasons Seattle won’t work.

Problem solved.

Dawnpatrol, sonOsea and shadydave like this.
  4. Mizrachi

Mizrachi Active Member

May 16, 2013
    I surfed a few times with a guy living in Seattle. He told me of fickle days but empty lineups, incredible scenery, undiscovered breaks and one surf spot where the only access was thru a reservation in which you were unwelcome unless you left the elder some money under his doormat. Seems to me like you'd want to keep the quiver and enjoy the change of pace (from Rockaway), along with newfound access to PNW surf, Tofino and quick flights to SoCal/Santa Cruz area for surgical strikes.

5. ClassicRider

ClassicRider Active Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Hawaii
    Moved from Hawaii about 3 years ago and the biggest thing that drives me nuts about living here is the crappy surf forecasts and reports. I have driven numerous times couple hundred miles and would get skunked with crap surf. Best bet is down in Oregon, for decent waves and good reports.

But either way in a couple of months wont be my problem cause I am heading back home.

That spot on the reservation is no longer accessible because you cant park there any more.

6. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    1. From the mouth of the Columbia up to BC there has never been a shark attack.
    2. That indian reservation spot isn't hard to find but you do have to try to score a beach pass from the Taholah tribe. You never know.
    3. Westport can have a pretty fun scene. The groins, the jetty, and some other spots for people who know how to surf. Great surf shop owned by Al Perlee. His son is Dane Perlee, who grew up there, and who owns and shapes Osprey surfboards. Al is one of the best and totally old school. Great restaurants and cool hotels to stay at.
    4. The straights have some truly righteous surf... you have to learn how and when to score it.
    5. Tofino can have some amazing surf.
    6. The Oregon coast is further south but way more crowded and sharky.
    7. If you can surf well you differentiate yourself pretty quickly. Lots of "kooks" but usually they can be avoided.
    8. Buy a good 5/4 with hood, boots, and gloves. I used thick gloves in the winter and thin gloves the other month.
    9. The fall, well into November can be as good as anywhere.
    10. If the forecast calls for heavy onshore winds, don't go. It wont be worth the drive.
    11. You will have to drive thru Aberdeen, which is where Kurt Cobain was born, and that pretty much says all there is to say about Aberdeen.

October 2013 at the Jetty
    surf2.jpg

Small Summer Saturday.... lots of "kooks"
    westport jetty.JPG

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Planktom and JMJackFish like this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    forget about the Straits, no mas olas, Dawnpatrol used them all up.

Gretsch and dsquare like this.
  8. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
  9. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
  10. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK