Seaside and beyond / crowd killer

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Rinconryder, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Rinconryder

Rinconryder Active Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Maybe the wrong crowd for this question but I have been interested in a performance mid length. Something that paddles well and has easy drive but that I can make a good turn on. Probably ride it in chest to head high conditions. I am just too old and fat to ride a standard short board in anything small these days. Been looking at Machado’s seaside and beyond or the lost crowd killer. If anyone has ridden either I would love to hear some feedback. Thanks.

wes

2. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    I don't think you're in the wrong place!

I have a Josh Hall 'Piseas', which I would firmly place into that category of 'mid length that you can really turn on'. It's a high aspect twin set up, but he also does keels, quad and tri fin set ups too.

I'm not a fan of Firewires, but that footage of Machado surfing that 7ft fish is definitely worth a few playbacks.

JMJackFish and DJR like this.
  3. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    From your user name are you in the Santa Barbra area? I do like the look of the Seaside. Been thinking of something like that to use as a knee board.
    Of course there are a lot of quality board builders that have models very similar ⎌to the Seaside. If you are looking at a Fish style board San Diego has a lot of shapers that know the ins and outs of Fish Style boards.

4. Thomas Morra

Thomas Morra Member

Sep 2, 2019
    Rhode Island
    02A92E09-A003-4562-AF15-7EEA41925B8A.jpeg 8E595961-CD73-4E25-B72E-D4ABC5E85CC5.jpeg 8C28F50E-1A6C-4768-B7E2-636C74E2A5ED.jpeg F1E53971-3472-49D5-9B8A-6ED086688B95.jpeg
    This is my go to board. It’s a 7’8” made by Soundings Surf Co in RI. It’s a hybrid of one of his shapes (Capstan) and a Bing ‘Good Karma.’ It’s definitely what you’re looking for, however you may want a different fin setup. I make top turns and cutbacks with this as is, but everything is big and sweeping.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Artz, Sax-son, pefa and 2 others like this.
  5. Sbbcc

Sbbcc New Member

Dec 6, 2017
    SB
    Ive been kicking around the idea of getting a seaside and beyond, seems like a fun board. Im assuming we are i the same area, If I end up getting one ill let you give it a shot.

6. dr flavors

dr flavors Member

Jul 21, 2019
    ca
    Surfviking likes this.
  7. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Like i said in the PM..
    Bruce fowler..his NVM..is amazing bigger shortboard.i have a 8.0 and a 8.6 on the way..
    And a V8 vnottom..all are
    4+1 set ups ..which everyone seems to be doing..
    Also..he ships amtrak witha new bag
    Dane perlee is making me a 8.6 4+1 frankenspud...
    He is sending it north via leon fitchit..
    All these boards catch waves like longer..but surf shorter..
    If that makes sense..

Others i like are
    Maurice cole shivas..red dingos...dave vernor treehugger..
    Realwater sports in NC having a $100 off sale..plus ship for $99..

So many ways to go..there is midlength thread here..with tons of other jammers cool input..

If you are on the east coast ..south....hit up mcquad..mcgarbutt.

Anyways..try as many as you can before buying..have fun..
    And embrace the midlenth...it is so good..

8. floated

floated New Member

May 17, 2019
    Santa Barbara
    Support a local shaper... they’ll make you anything you want.

Surfviking and PeakMaster like this.
  9. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
  10. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I feel like there's no better time to get a midlength. There are so many great options between the v.Bowls, Thick Lizzy, Vaquero, Hot Generation, COS D'evolution, etc. I think most/all of which will do all those required things and also work great on a sweet head snap. My personal jam is the v.Bowls.

A note about Firewire from a buddy that owned two of them. He loved it and thought it rode well, but he had problems with the one that was TimberTek. Apparently the wood veneer will hide any weird dents and delams to the very light cloth underneath. His ding guy said he sees it all the time -- the board looks okay from the outside but it is hiding a house of horrors underneath the veneer. I guess by the time you find these issues, it's a much bigger issue than if you were aware of it from the onset.

DJR and dingdong like this.