Russ Short as midlength?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by bfat, Nov 10, 2019 at 5:41 PM.

1. bfat

bfat Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Brooklyn/Maine
    Would appreciate any feedback / insight into Campbell Bros Russ Short in longer lengths, 6'10" - 7'6" or so.

Particularly interested in an east coasters take. Do people prefer the CB egg (w/ewing or without) as a midlength?

I tried searching older bonzer threads, but if I missed a discussion on this topic just point me in the right direction.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 10:00 PM
    hankster likes this.
  2. dr flavors

dr flavors New Member

Jul 21, 2019
    ca
    had a 6-10 and a 6-8.

mid-length/trim machines?... no.

disappointing in flat faced burgers. they need push

step-up/semi-gun?... sure.

russ shorts love clean, throaty drainers detonating on the inside bars

bfat, hankster and Artz like this.
  3. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    If you are looking for a more all around Bonzer You can’t go wrong with an 5 fin Bonzer Egg. E wings are good but a clean rail line is also good. Works great in Reef, Point, Beach Break, pitching to fat burger waves.

bfat, SeniorGrom and hankster like this.
  4. bfat

bfat Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Brooklyn/Maine
    thanks @dr flavors and @Artz
    I'm tinkering with what to pair a 7'6 v-bottom with. A one two mid-length punch. I was looking at some pics of the bottom contours on a rush short, thought it may fit the bill but I know nothing about bonzers.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019 at 10:59 AM
  5. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Wouldn't be bad to have a RS in your quiver as a step up for the North East.

hankster, Artz and bfat like this.
  6. Artz

Artz Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Checkout Campbell Bothers web page Bonzer Nation. Lots of Photos of all their models.

bfat likes this.
  7. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    I've had a 6'7" RS and a wingless 6'8" B5 egg and would concur with Flavors and Artz above - egg is better all rounder.

I've also ridden a friend's 8ft B5 egg (no wing either) and that was a great board... carve city. But any bonzer is likely to forsake you that real bottom-end glide in slop - they need a bit of a wave to get that engine up to RPM...

Like a race car, they're lumpy when idling, but buttery when the revs are up! Wider tails help the bottom end, so maybe a pod or some kind of Bumblebee/RS hybrid may be worth thinking about if you want that low end usability?

hankster likes this.