Russ Short as midlength?

bfat

Dec 20, 2018
Brooklyn/Maine
Would appreciate any feedback / insight into Campbell Bros Russ Short in longer lengths, 6'10" - 7'6" or so.

Particularly interested in an east coasters take. Do people prefer the CB egg (w/ewing or without) as a midlength?

I tried searching older bonzer threads, but if I missed a discussion on this topic just point me in the right direction.

Last edited:

dr flavors

Jul 21, 2019
ca
had a 6-10 and a 6-8.

mid-length/trim machines?... no.

disappointing in flat faced burgers. they need push

step-up/semi-gun?... sure.

russ shorts love clean, throaty drainers detonating on the inside bars

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
If you are looking for a more all around Bonzer You can’t go wrong with an 5 fin Bonzer Egg. E wings are good but a clean rail line is also good. Works great in Reef, Point, Beach Break, pitching to fat burger waves.

bfat

Dec 20, 2018
Brooklyn/Maine
thanks @dr flavors and @Artz
I'm tinkering with what to pair a 7'6 v-bottom with. A one two mid-length punch. I was looking at some pics of the bottom contours on a rush short, thought it may fit the bill but I know nothing about bonzers.

Last edited:

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
I've had a 6'7" RS and a wingless 6'8" B5 egg and would concur with Flavors and Artz above - egg is better all rounder.

I've also ridden a friend's 8ft B5 egg (no wing either) and that was a great board... carve city. But any bonzer is likely to forsake you that real bottom-end glide in slop - they need a bit of a wave to get that engine up to RPM...

Like a race car, they're lumpy when idling, but buttery when the revs are up! Wider tails help the bottom end, so maybe a pod or some kind of Bumblebee/RS hybrid may be worth thinking about if you want that low end usability?